Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 build

Noah my boy

Just wanted some info on building a nice 40 limited STI. My first ? is should I go full dust cover or not? How well do, let say an STI slide fit to a new Frame? What is better for a ramp a wilson/nolin or a para/clark ramp? I was looking at a frame to fit slide, is this the way to go to? I would like as much feedback as you can give me as I am a beginner at building. What r some of the things I need to know.. Thanks all and always front sight trigger press....

Are you going to do the work yourself, or have a smith do it? Unless you have some gunsmith skills, I wouldn't try to tackle building a pistol. Regarding full dust cover or regular, the full dust cover will result in a heavier gun with extra weight out front for more recoil control, but a lighter regular profile gun will transition a little faster. Same thing with a bull barrel vs. bushing barrel. Its depends upon your personal preference. The smith that built my Open gun says that the STI frame/slide fits are good enough. The 2011 frame can be also be ordered with the Wilson/Nowlin cut to save a little on gunsmith fees. You'll probably end up spending almost the same amount of money buying parts then paying a smith to assemble it, compared to buying a new STI Edge or Eagle. But the advantage to buying the parts you want is you can put in top notch parts from the beginning.

Go to this link for an idea about what parts to buy http://www.gansguns.com/tobuild.html. and minus the open gun parts like scope, mount, comp, etc.

First build? Try 1911forums.com, pistolsmith.com etc. There is great info here as well but trying to build a top notch 2011 as your first build is like building a Ferrari in High School auto shop class.

Honestly, if it's a money savings you won't see it. The tools required are as expensive as paying for a gunsmith to do it. If it's personal satisfaction, money no object thing, buy two books before buying any parts. Jerry Kuhnhausen, 1911 shop manual vol 1 and 2. That would be a good place to start. Read both until you know the concepts, reasons and methods to perform all the tasks needed. Then start talking to people about which parts are crap, and which are good. Then there is the personal preference items.

I would buy a good used gun, spend some time learning it, modifing it, tuning it, getting used to it, learn what you like and what you don't. Then start a new build. I've found deals on 2011 before, as low as $750 with mags. You won't find that often but anything in the $1250-1400 range will be equal to the cost of parts for you to build it yourself.

There is a 9mm Edge on AR15.com right now for $1400. My parts list for a build is that much.

Clark ramp is supposed to be stronger, but I've never broken a properly installed Wilson ramped barrel.

Thanks for all the Info it is very helpful. the only gun smith i know is my father who in his time was a great shooter.. A two time 'bianchi cup champ back in about 1988. So all parts we already have to make a pistol. I just need a frame slide and mags.. My wife's dad can do the cuts on the slide I think. Just need to know the what is good and what is bad? Thanks again for all that replied any other hits and tips would be great thanks.. I also saw that Brazos Edge on the class. sec. that looked sick too..