Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 shooting factory loads

ichetucknee

I have 625 that I had tuned several years ago. I don't shoot it much. The ignition is too soft to fire factory loads consistantly. What should I do get more reliability from factory ammo?

Without knowing exactly what was done to the gun when it was tuned it is hard to make a specific recommendation. The first thing I would do is take the grips off and check the mainspring screw at the bottom of the grip and make sure it is tight, if it is loose it will lead to failures to fire. After that is checked out then you are going to have to ensure the hammer is striking the primer or transfer bar with enough force to ignite the primer, essentially that means heavier springs or you can remove the hammer spur which will lighten the hammer and cause its acceleration to increase which will increase the force on the primer Springs are a cheap an easy fix but will cause the trigger pull to increase, removing the hammer spur will keep the pull at the same weight but will make the revolver essentially a DAO gun and still may not solve the problem and new heavy springs may still be needed. All of my competition revolvers have spurless hammers and will work with factory ammo and have trigger pulls around 6.5 lbs.