Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Slect with 230gr FMJ

8ring

Hello:

I need a load for American Select with 230 Zero FMJ bullets. I'll use Win, Magtech, or CCI primers. OAL is 1.265. Weapon is STI Trojan, 5" barrel. Desired PF 170-175.

The Alliant website doesn't have much useful information about this combination.

Thanks,

Chris

I use 4.8 grains of American Select with a 230 grain Montana Gold CMJ loaded at 1.250 OAL, Win LP primer. Tested at 172 PF average at 75 degrees, 440 ft altitude. Trojan 5.0. I have not seen any pressure signs, but you should start with a lower charge and work up using normal procedures.

GLOCK 21SF

230 gr. Berry's

CCI 300

Mixed brass

4.5 gr. Alliant American Select

1.250" OAL

Avg. 740 fps ( On an 85 deg day)

I'm going to bump it up to 4.6-4.7 gr. and re-chrono.

Edited by babob

Bit of a hi-jack.

I like American Select. It burns really clean with not much smoke. I just can't get it to meter consistent because the flakes are HUGE. Like trying to stuff cornflakes in a case, lol. It is a really fast powder. I loaded 4.9gr of it with a 230gr moly and it was close to 200PF! Oops. 4.5gr got me closer to the mark at around 174PF.

I am using a Lee press right now. I plan to order a LNL AP soon. Maybe it will be better with a different system. Do you guys have any problem with it ??

I've used American Select for three years now using my 550B and it meters great in that system.

ETA: I've polished the bottoms of both powder measures that I use for 9mm and 45ACP. Am. Select does not meter well out of a RCBS powder measure.

Edited by babob