Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Caterpillar Mechanics Around?

I have a Generac Olympian 30kw generator that uses a Cat 4 cylinder 3.0 diesel, I need a water pump for it but I can't find a good model number for the engine. I have the model and serial number for the generator itself but nothing for the engine, any suggestions? Thanks

It may well be a Perkins engine. Cat owns part of that company and uses their engines. It would have a Cat model number like 3046, or 3056. Not to be confused with the much larger and popular 3406 engine. There should be a decal on the valve cover or at the least a stamping of the serial number on the block. Probably towards the rear of the engine just below the cylinder head. I'll try to dig up a picture of a perkins water pump for you to compare too.

does the engine look like this? water pump to the right side as you're facing it. This is a 3056 Cat, manufactured by Perkins.

There's a sticker on the front cover, just below the water pump. That's a shipping tag with a model and serial number. It may still be on your engine. I've seen them last a long time. You might look there.

post-13722-009734200 1281410161_thumb.jp

Edited by kevinj308

I'd start with NAPA auto parts. At least out here in CA they service heavy duty diesel as well. They can usually get just about anything and the prices aren't bad. If not then your neighborhood Mazda dealer should be able to help. It may not be what they're used to, but if Mazda made it they should be able to get parts. Shouldn't be that big of a deal now that you've identified the engine, hopefully with a model and serial number. If those don't work then just go to a heavy duty truck shop. Any shop that works on semi's. They should be able to get something going.

Good luck

Kevin