Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for 9mm Beretta M9

AirBorne

Going to reload for my 9mm Beretta M9 using WST ball powder NOT WSF. Have the recipe for the grains it is 3.8, trying to figure out what the OAL will be for this type powder. Anyone out there have any solid info on this topic, be it the grains as well as the OAL. Thanks for any help that can be given.

The bullet weight is sort of an important consideration here ;)

Factory OAL should be fine....something like 1.10"

[/quote

Dang pardon my lack of all info I'm using Zero 124 FMJ. Have been using VihtaVuori N320 with 4.4 grains OAL of 1.150 and crimp of .376-.378. So basically everything on the press will stay the same with the exception of the powder drop correct? Thank you for responding to my question G-ManBart

Right, no need to change anything but the powder charge. I checked my old manuals, and unfortunately, the only older Winchester data I have is their 12th edition, and WST was pretty new, so they didn't list any loads for 9mm and a couple with WSL. I'm sure someone will have a guide that's a bit newer and chime in. R,

I developed a load for my Son-in-law to shoot at Area 8 last year in his Beretta M9, not having the gun to test with made it a bit more difficult. The short of it is the gun ran 100% with my loads and he hit the Crono at 132pf.

4.7gr of WST with a .355 9 mm 124gr RN Montana Gold bullet loaded out 1.140 w/CCI Small Pistol primers range pickup brass. I use to load the wife's ammo at 3.8 gr and that is what we refer to as a mouse fart load ok for shooting if no power factor is required. The 4.7gr load is of hot weather 90+ degrees. WST is temp sensative and keep it cool to keep the velocity up.

As always your results may vary and you need to drop at least 10% off and work up to it checking pressure. The load only applies to the exact components listed and any alternate component may not produce similar results. Reload is dangerous don't smoke while reloading.

An alternate load of the same pf is to use 4.3gr of TiteGroup.

here is a link to my SIL Jordan shooting the Beretta at 2008 Area 8: http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=114

Just click on no thumbnail then download to open the viedo. You will be able to see the amount of flip that the load creates. It was his second ever match.

I developed a load for my Son-in-law to shoot at Area 8 last year in his Beretta M9, not having the gun to test with made it a bit more difficult. The short of it is the gun ran 100% with my loads and he hit the Crono at 132pf.

4.7gr of WST with a .355 9 mm 124gr RN Montana Gold bullet loaded out 1.140 w/CCI Small Pistol primers range pickup brass. I use to load the wife's ammo at 3.8 gr and that is what we refer to as a mouse fart load ok for shooting if no power factor is required. The 4.7gr load is of hot weather 90+ degrees. WST is temp sensative and keep it cool to keep the velocity up.

As always your results may vary and you need to drop at least 10% off and work up to it checking pressure. The load only applies to the exact components listed and any alternate component may not produce similar results. Reload is dangerous don't smoke while reloading.

An alternate load of the same pf is to use 4.3gr of TiteGroup.

here is a link to my SIL Jordan shooting the Beretta at 2008 Area 8: http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=114

Just click on no thumbnail then download to open the viedo. You will be able to see the amount of flip that the load creates. It was his second ever match.

CocoBolo, Your reply is pretty detailed and it also helps that your family member is using the same pistol. I'm leaning towards your recipe or at least start my first 5 rds at 4.2 and 5 more at 4.4 ect. You look familiar think I've either shot a range course you were at or you go to the same range I do. If I may ask how long have you been reloading? Would like to pick your brain somemore if possible. Either way thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

CocoBolo, Your reply is pretty detailed and it also helps that your family member is using the same pistol. I'm leaning towards your recipe or at least start my first 5 rds at 4.2 and 5 more at 4.4 ect. You look familiar think I've either shot a range course you were at or you go to the same range I do. If I may ask how long have you been reloading? Would like to pick your brain somemore if possible. Either way thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I've been reloading for 3 years on a LNL and an XL650. I shoot an average of 1500 rounds per month. I'm shooting open currently, but I shoot limited often and single stack. I started out shooting action shoots with 9 mm guns of a wide variety. When the wife was shooting (she works weekends now) were were going thru 3000 rounds a month, she shoots a CZ75B. I just bought a CZ Custom Shadow and intend to shoot production for a while after the nationals.

There is very little information out there on WST currently but it is very similar to 231 just drop it a tenth or two. Always better to start low and work up.

Make sure you drop check every round, a fat boy case is real hard to get out of the gun when it jams in there.

I shoot all over central Texas and make most of the Texas and Lousiana major matches as well as the Nationals. Just shot Corpus Christi today. I also did area 8 Last year.