Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P226 R Elite Sights ... shoots too low

ctkenc

I have a new (to me) Sig P226 Elite 40 Cal that I've put about 200-250 rounds through ... about the same number the original owner put through it.

I really like the pistol but find that at 10 Yards it shoots about 3-4 inches lower than what I think my sight picture will produce.

It has the original Sig Night Sights that are standard on the P226 R Elite. I think the Rear Sight is marked as as size 8 and the front sight as a size 6.

Looking for suggestions on how best to improve my shooting results .... ideally, I like to shoot with either a 6 O'Clock hold, or, a POA=POI where the top of the front sight is aligned with the center of the target. I don't like to have to entirely hide, or cover, the target with my sights at the time I break the shot.

Thinking about 3 options"

1.) call Sig and buy a different size Rear Sight ... Owners Manual says this is the most effective way to change Elevation

2.) Install a TFO Front Sight .... if my Gunsmith can confirm the size would yield desired results with current Rear Sight

3.) Replace with Mepro's; maybe a set with Adjustable Rear Sight as I will likely buy a 357 Barrel also .... and I have these sights on a Glock G17 and like them

Got any suggestions ?

Thanks

ken

Edited by ctkenc

I have a similar issue with my 226 ST, I could have sworn that it was shooting perfectly when I took a shooting course with it, 1200 rnds. it had 6 front and 6 rear sights. I sent it to sig for rst and action work , they replaced the original sights with nights in 6 and 6 but now it shoots low.

Have you had someone else shoot it now, or shoot from a rest? It sounds like someone already tried to adjust that with a rear sight.

A front sight replacement is easy, someone here on the forum had a table of what a rear sight and front sight would do with POI.

There are nice rear adjustables sights as well.

Rear Sight Heights:

#4 = 5.24mm (0.21 inches)

#5 = 5.52mm (0.22 inches)

#6 = 5.80mm (0.23 inches)

#7 = 6.07mm (0.24 inches)

#8 = 6.35mm (0.25 inches)

#9 = 6.62mm (0.26 inches)

#10 = 6.90mm (0.27 inches)

Front Sight Heights:

#5 = 6.01mm (0.235 inches)

#6 = 5.88mm (0.230 inches)

#7 = 5.74mm (0.225 inches)

#8 = 5.60mm (0.220 inches)

#9 = 5.46mm (0.215 inches)

#10 = 5.32mm (0.210 inches)

Front sight 1" POI change between number..... Rear sight, 2" POI change between number

changes at 25 yards changes at 25 yards

Sig recommends the rear be changed first.

Edited by fastarget

Rear Sight Heights:

#4 = 5.24mm (0.21 inches)

#5 = 5.52mm (0.22 inches)

#6 = 5.80mm (0.23 inches)

#7 = 6.07mm (0.24 inches)

#8 = 6.35mm (0.25 inches)

#9 = 6.62mm (0.26 inches)

#10 = 6.90mm (0.27 inches)

Front Sight Heights:

#5 = 6.01mm (0.235 inches)

#6 = 5.88mm (0.230 inches)

#7 = 5.74mm (0.225 inches)

#8 = 5.60mm (0.220 inches)

#9 = 5.46mm (0.215 inches)

#10 = 5.32mm (0.210 inches)

Front sight 1" POI change between number..... Rear sight, 2" POI change between number

changes at 25 yards changes at 25 yards

Sig recommends the rear be changed first.

My Gunsmith is trying to get a Size 9, or size 10 TFO Front Sight for me (to replace my stock, factory, size 6 Sig Night-Sight ... I'd rather shoot a little too high than too low. It's easier for me to move to a 6 O'Clock Hold to resolve impact being too high from a POA=POI Sight Picture.

[

My Gunsmith is trying to get a Size 9, or size 10 TFO Front Sight for me (to replace my stock, factory, size 6 Sig Night-Sight ... I'd rather shoot a little too high than too low. It's easier for me to move to a 6 O'Clock Hold to resolve impact being too high from a POA=POI Sight Picture.

I would be interested in how it turns out, I also agree that it is better to be a bit high close than low.

Bummer .... TFO Front Sight arrived, package marked that it was a size 8 but when we put Calipers on it, turned out to be considerably taller than my current size 6, which, was the exact opposite of what we are trying to accomplish.

Think I will have to call Sig and see if they can sell me the right size, or, give up on TFO's and just get a set of Sig sights that will work for me.

Will also try shooting it some more with current factory sights (8 in Rear and 6 in Front as I noticed that all the new Sigs in Dealers case come that way from the factory.

Ken

Bummer .... TFO Front Sight arrived, package marked that it was a size 8 but when we put Calipers on it, turned out to be considerably taller than my current size 6, which, was the exact opposite of what we are trying to accomplish.

Think I will have to call Sig and see if they can sell me the right size, or, give up on TFO's and just get a set of Sig sights that will work for me.

Will also try shooting it some more with current factory sights (8 in Rear and 6 in Front as I noticed that all the new Sigs in Dealers case come that way from the factory.

Ken

Called SIG Customer Service and Ordered a TFO Front Sight in Size 8; hopefully, that will provide the needed Elevation Gain.

• 1 month later...

Just went through this with SIG on my combat P226 and it was the barrel crown that was off. They crowned the weapon at 11Deg and it shoots like a dream now. Manufacturing at SIG has been on a severe reduction in ability lately ... tooling must be wearing out on those machines. :blink:

Just went through this with SIG on my combat P226 and it was the barrel crown that was off. They crowned the weapon at 11Deg and it shoots like a dream now. Manufacturing at SIG has been on a severe reduction in ability lately ... tooling must be wearing out on those machines. :blink:

Interesting, I will check it out. I did purchase 2 new rears and 2 new front sights of different heights found them new for $13, was going to bench the gun and change accordingly.

Problems like this could be completely addressed at the factory if SIG would just go back to test firing each pistol. Five rounds is all it would take. It has to be cheaper to shoot five rounds than to pay for shipping to and from the owner? :unsure:

Problems like this could be completely addressed at the factory if SIG would just go back to test firing each pistol. Five rounds is all it would take. It has to be cheaper to shoot five rounds than to pay for shipping to and from the owner? :unsure:

Agreed....but I think high production, cost reduction, might make it prohibitive or at least impractical for them. Just think of the percentage of buyers that will shoot their guns on a regular basis to notice,,,they play the odds, and I bet it is more profitable for them not to send a test target with every gun.