Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder to sticking to powder funnel

CZinSC

Using a 550B, tonight I was getting some powder flakes sticking to the powder funnel (specifically the part that bells the case).

What could be causing this? Humidity? Case lube?

Is it anything to be concerened with?

When seating a bullet, I noticed several times one or two flakes on the rim of the case. Should I not worry about this, or is that something that needs to be fixed?

Loading 9mm, using 4.2 gn of Titegroup, Win 1x fired brass, tumbled and cleaned.

Sounds to me like it could mess up your charge weight. At the very least cause some of the first ones to be light and some of the latter ones to be hot. Humidity could be causing this but it's never happened to me. My work space is air conditioned.

I've noticed the same scenario on my 550. Best I can tell you if its a flake or two you have nothing to worry about. If my memory serves me 3 kernals of varget (tubular rifle powder ) weighs about a tenth of a grain. So a couple flakes of titegroup should weigh less. If your concern is charge weight IMO you have little to worry about unless you start reloading for long range precision rifle.

As far as the why it could be static, humidity, or case lube and I'm sure other scenarios. I'm a believer in starting the problem solving with the easiest fix. Wipe the expander with a fabric softener cloth for static. Keep it clean for case lube. And if you can narrow it down to humidity crank up the AC or dehumidifier.