Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program

Wanted to do some kind of low key change up game and came across the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. Not sure if it should be called a sport but it's an interesting program.

Self paced program done on the honor system until you get to the highest level. There are many different options for type of firearm. Seems to me like it would be a good way to get novice shooters interested in shooting.

I shot the Handgun Pro-Marksman through Expert levels over the last two weekends with my Browning Buckmark. It's not really hard but you do need to pay attention if you want to clean it on the D-2 target with a .22. Now I just need a witness for the Distinguished Expert level. I also shot the Light Rifle through Marksman yesterday with my 10/22.

A few casual shooters at my club watched me shooting it and expressed some interest in it. Maybe the club could run it occasionally to pique some interest. The program would seem to lend itself well to firing squad sort of administration. Searching the ErrorNet shows that there are some clubs around the country doing that.

Many people I know find most action shooting disciplines too rigorous but this might be something they would do on a casual basis.