Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Attracting Leo Or Military Teams To Ipsc

pwalker

Here in the Thailand IPSC region, we have decided that we need some new members to ensure the future of the sport. (We have about 80 to 100 active members but only see 2 or 3 new longer-term members each year).

One suggestion, in addition to some other ideas, is to encourage some police or military teams. I am thinking of putting a promotion package together and taking it to some generals and senior police officers.

Most individuals in the police and military here, typically don't have enough money for a sport like IPSC. So, they might need to be sponsored by their organization. There are a few organizations (e.g. SWAT, Border Security Force, Kings Guard, Queen's Guard, Seals), whose leadership might be persuaded that this is good training for their guys. One or more of these units might put together a small (4 or 5 members) team.

However, in the past, attempts to attract and keep such teams have failed. Once, a team from SWAT came to a couple of matches but were never seen again. Another time, a navy seal team came to some matches over 6 months. The problem was that they got beaten, badly. I watched one SWAT guy shoot a 32 round stage in 87 seconds with a bunch of mikes, whereas the average IPSC guy was taking 30 to 40 seconds. I am sure that they were embarrassed when all their guys ended up on the bottom of the list. That kind of thing could be damaging to the sponsoring leader's career. So, they walk away...

Has anyone cracked this problem in the past?

Maybe we could set-up seprate matches (the day before or after the normal match), scored separately, until they had put the basic skills together?

Maybe we could offer a long-term IPSC training program for them before they compete?

Anyway, I'd like to hear of other places that have succeeded with this and how they did it.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

Sorry to jump in first again, but we're in a similar time zone.

The best advice I can give is for IPSC Thailand civilians to conduct matches exclusively for LEOs and/or Military personnel because, as you know, "loss of face" is far more serious in Asia than it is anywhere else in the world. See my comments in the other thread about the HK Police match I ran with a mate.

And you need to conduct those matches until you think they have a chance of putting up a decent performance against Khun Hoserpoon at an "all comers" match, and that might take you a year or more. There are no shortcuts. No pain, no gain.

This formula has worked for Hong Kong, Macau, Sri Lanka and the Philippines (the latter still run such matches, and they're a winner). BTW, I already gave this advice to Thailand when the (then new, now) current administration took over, and it's the same advice I've given since to Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.

And if all you guys listen to your Uncle Vinny, the next logical progression would be a "Level III Asian IPSC LEO Match" held at different Regions on a rotating basis once a year.