Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL/New Brass

xsniper

This is my first time to reload new 38 Super brass. It seems as if the OAL varies more than I am used to. I am using 1.235 OAL. I had loaded a bunch with used brass with no problem. Using the same MG 124 gr.JHP I immediatley had to change my die because the new brass seemed to be loading long. Now it seems to vary from 1.235 to 1.239. Is this just because the new cases are harder (less flexible)? Is this enough variance to be concerned?

I am going to take a wild guess on the OAL variance and then wait for the pro's to chime in. New brass has a head stamp giving the manufacturer and caliber. When the brass is stamped I would guess that the head stamping raises the brass around the letters and numerals a tiny bit. If this is the case that might explain the OAL difference with the new brass. Older previously shot brass probably has the raised portions flattened by being forced back into the breech face of the gun when it is fired.

As far as the OAL difference among the rounds you have loaded I wouldn't give .004" a second thought. Maybe if you were reloading for benchrest shooting but not for the distances we shoot in USPSA/IPSC.

CYa,

Pat

This is my first time to reload new 38 Super brass. It seems as if the OAL varies more than I am used to. I am using 1.235 OAL. I had loaded a bunch with used brass with no problem. Using the same MG 124 gr.JHP I immediatley had to change my die because the new brass seemed to be loading long. Now it seems to vary from 1.235 to 1.239. Is this just because the new cases are harder (less flexible)? Is this enough variance to be concerned?

New cases are actually softer and more flexible, but probably slightly thicker at the mouth. As the brass gets shot, resized, shot, it work hardens (eventually to the point they split, often at the mouth). I've noticed that I have to adjust my belling die for new brass...just a bit. If I don't do that, the OAL changes (longer). R,