Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x19 - Just Worked Up A Load

chp5

I started shooting Production a few months back and, up until now, I've been shooting Win white box and Wolf - both in 115. I like both. I especially like the Wolf @ $85 a case!

Anyway, I just started reloading for 9x19 and chrono'ed today. In case anyone's interested in the data:

* About 47 degrees today

* Shot all loads fron my Glock 34

* Wolf 115 - average was 1151 - 132 pf

* My load - 115 Rainier round nose over 4.7 grains of Titegroup and Win primers - average was 1256 - 144 pf

I like both. I'll probably reduce the charge to try to reproduce the Wolf load, but I really don't feel much difference.

CHP: you want to feel a really really soft production load, try 147 grain bullets at about 875 FPS (128 powerfactor) and load long to 1.150" for positive feeding in your Glock; it will radically change your view. You might also consider the following powders: book loads: N 330 or Titegroup Even softer yet: (non book load) N310.

Thanks Carlos. I've heard that the 147s are very soft. I'll still shoot a lot of Wolf or Win white box, so I think I'll stick with a load that's similar in feel to those.

This may be off base, but I also shoot Limited and I'm worried that I'll get lazy or just used to mouse loads if that's all I shoot - and then the Limited gun will feel like it has too much flip, etc. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

CHP5 - I was told that "Wolf" (Russian) ammo had corrosive primers & powder and to stay away from them unless I planned on cleaning my gun each and every time I used them. Maybe the info that I got was (is) wrong. Are you aware of anything like this? Also, I am running a 148 gr. RN with 3.7 gr. of Unique. Crono average 915. PF 135. Accurate but soft as a baby's butt. Only problem is that Unique is dirty but I had an 8 lb. keg and decided to use it up. Thanks -JC :)

CHP 5 - Thanks - I can get Wolf pretty cheap. Although that load that I use is pretty good on steel. There is a non sanctioned match in Ohio that I attend on occasion and it is all metal. The metal is not to USPSA standards and is really tough. Although they said that they altered the metals it is still not too 9mm friendly. People shooting factory Winchester White Box 115 gr. are always griping. Therefore the 148 gr. load that I run takes them down pretty good. That is when I hit them. :D Be Well & Good Shooting

Above post has been edited to read: "book loads: N330" Did not mean to suggest V V endorses N320 and 147s in 9x19mm.

However, to answer your question, I just did a search in "Reloading" using the following query: " N320 AND 147 "

5 results apeared, the one mentioning "IDPA" contains another members data on N320/147s for Minor.

I have only used Titegroup, N310 and N330 in 9mm w/ 147s. I have not used N320 for 9mm (but I do use it for .40). As you observe, N320 is not in the V V manual for 147s so their advice would be "use a different powder". As I recall, their 9x19mm data for 147s begins with N330. Two tenths below their starting load for N330 / 147s produces a decent steel load; have not chronoed it yet so I can't say if it meets minor. If you want a "book load" it looks like 330 is the fastest V V powder you will find. Regards, C. (AKA TY-44934)

www.shootersparadise.com

Thanks Carlos. I thought that it may be VihtaVori. Unfortunatly that popular powder is not availabe in my area. We are trying to get some guys together & buy in quantity from somewhere. Meanwhile, I will just keep using the 8lb.Keg of Dirty Unique that I have. Be Well & Good Shooting -Jerry :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hodgdon free data lists the load as follows:

MAX LOAD (only load listed in the free data):

147 grn Hornady JHP

3.6 grns (again, MAX) Titegroup

1.100" MINIMUM OAL

4" Test barrel

Velocity: 929 FPS / 27,500 CUP

MY load test resulted in the following:

147 Grn Speer TMJ (TMJ = ELECTROPLATED BULLET!!!! Speer TMJs are electroplated)

Glock 17 factory 5" Polygonal rifling barrel (poly = less velocity)

3.3 Grn Titegroup

1.135" OAL

Velocity: 874 fps, pressure unk. but NO pressure signs

This is an amazingly LIGHT recoiling load. Powerfactor is avg.: 128.4

Were I not using an unpublished load of VV N310, I would probably use Titegroup & 147s. Note: if you use a gun with conventional rifling (i.e. not a Glock) velocity might be slightly higher. If you use my data with a true jacketed bullet like the Hornady XTP or HAP velocity will be lower & even lower still with a brass or bronze jacketed bullet like the Montana Gold. When you test this load, PLEASE post your results here. Thanks! C.