Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Lyman Tru-Line Jr

I'm in need of some help. A friend of mine helped me get started reloading by giving me a free Lyman Tru-Line Jr. Today was the day the final shipment of supplies arrived and I was able to start reloading. I purchased a turret plate for the top of the press which allows for the standard size dies to be used with the press. I'm using RCBS carbide dies in 9mm. While setting up the depriming and resizing die I was unable to press the whole case into the die. I could only get half the piece of brass into the die. I probably shouldn't have, but I pushed down as hard as I could on the lever and the case wouldn't budge. Is there anything obvious that may stick out that I'm doing wrong? Could there be a problem with the dies? I would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!

Do you have the die screwed down so that it touches the shell holder with the ram is fully extended? Sounds to me that you have reached the max stroke of the press ram. with the ram fully extended screw the die down so that it touches the shell holder. Then retract the ram and screw the die down 1/8 to 1/4 turn farther. This should cause a slight overcam when you raise the ram to its full stroke. Good luck.

Yes the die does touch the shellholder before I put a case in it to resize. Then I can only get them within about 1/2" of each other. I was reading the directions of the rcbs dies and it notes not to overcam with carbide dies, I guess the carbide insert could crack.

Is the deprime pin screwed in too far and hitting the bottom of the case?

I just checked to see if that may be the problem by screwing the pin up as far as possible and that didn't fix anything. I've sprayed one-shot case lube on the die after it wouldn't load. I've also tried didn't brands of brass and still nothing. Maybe I should contact RCBS? Thanks for your help so far.

Yes thank you for asking. I was under the impression that with carbide dies case lube was not needed. The first time I tried the case lube I sprayed it inside the die and it did not work. But after spraying the cases beforehand the press works. I can't believe it makes that much difference. Thanks for your help. I loaded my first set of rounds to check at the range tomorrow!