Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The hammer drops, and nothing happens...

Tap, Rack, Bang. If that doesnt work.. strip the mag, rack twice, replace, bang. It's so beat into me from work drills that its what I do in competition. Frankly, I dont want to change the way I run it, since it's what I would do on the street. It may be slower than some.. but in the end, its a game.

• 2 weeks later...

During the heat of battle in a IPSC/USPSA match, what do you do when you pull the trigger and nothing happens? To some, the answer may appear obvious: immediately rack the slide (or pull the trigger again).

The problem I have with the above actions is that if you just had a squib load go off that you didn't hear, then the next shot could mean the end of your gun (and perhaps a few of your fingers); or perhaps your gun didn't go off because you just had a hang-fire, in which case immediately ejecting the round could be a very bad idea for you and those around you.

The question: Do you do the officially recommended thing and keep the gun pointed down range for 30 seconds (thus effectively losing the match or CoF)? Or do you risk it and rack the slide immediately for a new round?

Any thoughts on this?

-Bill

I hate when that happens...........

With squibs, something does happen.

TRB is for clearing after nothing happens.

If you squib, and you TRB, you're in the exact same boat you were before, assuming that it actually cycles.

That said, I suppose if you're digging up components you found in a stash from the 1950's, well... probably not a good idea to use that for competition anyway. :P

Most matches that I've shot the RO and the participants waiting their turn will let you know if you have a squib load. I had one this past year and I've seen half a dozen or so.

I've never seen someone not try to correct the problem if nothing happens... Everyone is accustomed to TRB or just RB as the case may be...

Edited by Gordian