Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan - Nosedives with FMJ 230gr and STI mag

8ring

Hello:

I took my brand new STI Trojan to the range today for some break-in with 100 rounds of Magtech 230gr FMJ round nose. I had an unusual problem with some of the seven STI mags I bought with the pistol When I loaded 8 rounds, the top round was at the proper (parallel with the mag lips) for feeding. After I inserted the loaded mag, the top round in the magazine was tilted noticeably lower. This causes nosedives on the first round whether I tried "slingshoting" the slide or releasing it with the level. The magazine would then be very difficult to remove.

BTW. the OAL for the Magtech rounds was 1.265" with a standard taper crimp over the FMJ bullet.

Several of the mags had this happen when fully seated. One mag required a firm bump at the bottom and then loaded the first round normally.

One of the mags also didn't let the slide lock back when empty. Another mag had premature slide lock back.

I understand that a 1911 needs some breaking in, but I've never seen a nosedive in any of my CZ pistol with round nose FMJ factory ammo. Also, the top round tilting downward does not appear to me to be problem that will fix itself with more rounds through the gun.

That said, the Trojan shot very accurately when it worked. The microdot front sight was just what I wanted.

Any ideas on what is causing the top round to change its angle after inserting the magazine?

Thanks,

Chris

The magazine body may be making contact with the inside of the frame. If that happens, and it's squeezing the top round, it will likely move forward slightly.

I hate to say this, but I haven't been very impressed with the quality of factory STI 1911 mags. I'd try different mags before I did anything else. My first choice is Wilson, but McCormick and Tripp are also excellent designs. R,

I use wilson in everything and they work well (47D's and now ETM's).

You could pull the slide off and put a loaded mag in the frame, you might be able to see something, maybe the ejector is hitting the top round?

If it only does it with 8 rounds in the mag vs 5 or 6, I tend to blame the mag...

Hello:

As suggested, I took the slide off and put loaded STI mags in the gun. On three of the seven mags, there was noticeable resistance as the mags were 3/4th of the way in. In these mags, the top round was not parallel with the mag lips when the mag was fully inserted. This did not happen in the other four STI mags or with a Kimber 8 round mag I bought over the weekend.

I guess I'll contact the seller and see what he suggests.

This is my first 1911 and when trying to re-assemble it, the plastic retainer at the front end of the recoil spring came loose, flew out the door of my shed, and into the bushes. Ah, the fun of learning a new gun.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris