Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Sights For A Blind Man

CharlesConnelly

Actually, I'm only blind in my left eye. This has never been a problem shooting USPSA limited 10, but now that I'm beginning to shoot 3-Gun(Limited), I find that it is impossible to use the shotgun or rifle sights when I'm required to shoot left handed. The stock just gets in the way.

I realize that when faced with a stage, requiring weak side shooting, I can make the RO aware of this ahead of time, take a penalty and shoot it right handed.

This sucks and can be very awkward moving right to left with some target placements.

I shoot Limited, so the question is: If I add a sight mechanism to the right side of the receiver and/or barrel which would allow me to shoot left handed, using my right eye, would it be allowed or would it force me into Open?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Chuck,

First and foremost, welcome to the BE Forums and I hope you find them to be both informative and fun.

My initial response to your question is to say that only the type of sights permitted in a Division is dictated by the rules, however the number of approved sights is not, so I don't see anything in the rules which would prohibit you from having an additional set of approved sights fitted to your shotgun nor anything to suggest you should be moved to Open Division.

Of course the provisions of Rule 5.1.7 and 5.1.8 require you to have all sights fitted to your shotgun for all courses of fire - you would not be permitted to add or remove them at will depending upon the course of fire.