Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Master Modification

Alan Adamson

Ok, so that tension adjustment knob on the RM holster is *huge*, and it sticks pretty far out unless you have it cranked down (which I've found no need for). So I had to find a solution. I know Saul said that they were working on one, but this one is just too simple.

Here's what I did. First some specs.

The tension screw is 1/4-20 threads for those that thought it might be metric. However, you won't find a shoulder screw that has a 10.25mm shoulder, which is what you need. The original is actually just under 10mm, but I find that if you take out a little bit of the play, it feels better and looks better.

So, go to your hardware store and buy a 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 1/4-20 hex head countersunk screw. Then find yourself one of those nylon finish washers, that will fit a 1/4 screw. I actually found that a #10 version of the finish washer allowed me to screws the washer onto the hex head countersunk screw and made the process of changing the diameter easier.

The diameter of the screw head and the nylon washer will be 3/8" which is too large for our intended purpose. So, what did I do, I screwed them together and put the assembled screws threads in a drill, hand tightened in and took it to my small disk sander. I ran the screw in the drill, and with the disk sander on, I carefully changed the diameter of the screw head and the nylon washer to be 10.25mm. Poof done.

Next for good measure, I super glued the washer to the screw and dropped a drop of hot glue onto the threads at the very end as a simple thread locking compond. Then I threaded this all back into the holster. Worked perfectly.

One other change I'm going to make, I'd like to find a smidge sorter spring, will allow more of the new screw to go into the body for the same tension, and it will solve the other issue that I find, that the threads of the screw are just a smidge short (they were worse in the factory setup). I'd like them protruding through the square nut in the frame, and they are just barely flush at the moment.

Here's what the finished product looks like. And all I need is an allen screw to adjust the tension. The hot glue just acted like a simple thread locking compound that would allow this to hold it's tension if light.

Hope you like it... Sorry the first picture is blurry, I'm not too fond of this camera...but couldn't find my other one.

Factory view

on_belt.jpg?o=1&id=0&res=9&h=4gxkrqeahqg52e355apqmxojb0hyhnxq&p=y&pid=101391&ph=qjlgy1ig3cmhcvegg1iwiicvhln2d0e2&d=AsDA7AQULDAAx2foA4NQg-D&as=mp3

From the side

DSCN0319.jpg

Another view from the side

DSCN0325.jpg

Overexposed version so you can see the detail.

DSCN0326.jpg

The original screw

DSCN0327.jpg

Edited by Alan Adamson

Nicely done. simple and easy. very few have had a problem with the knob though, I really don't think it is much of an issue, but we will be offering a cut down version of the stainless steel screw. we should have it 3 or 4 weeks time.

Next week we will be receiving a big shipment of parts, and will finally be able to catch up with all the back orders. the demand has been overwhelming, and the feedback great!

At the Czech Euro open last weekend, the biggest IPSC match this year in Europe, other than the Europeans, the RM holster were in action and performed great. JC Jaim Diaz won Standard using a Race Master, I 4th place in Standard too. I took 2nd in Open with my Race Master, and 4th in Open used one too.

I spent this morning making making the first prototypes for the SW 686L revolver insert. Not a simple one, as the gun is so heavy and the trigger guard an odd shape. but I think we have it figured out, and we should have the Revolver inserts in a month or so. Also later this month the first inserts for the SW M&P...

more to follow,

Saul

Saul,

Thanks for the kind words... Yes, you are right, it's really not that big of a deal with the factory one... I would like to see 2 changed on the factory version that I believe would help.

a) another 1/4-3/8" of length on the threaded part, simply to allow it to protrude through the nut further when adjusted, I find I have mine set pretty light and my screw isn't completely through the threads. (my mod fixed that somewhat)

B) if you used a screw or added a nylon thread lock patch to the bolt, when it's set to a light tension, it's almost too loose and the screw can move. What I did was take a dab of hot glue and put on my bolt, let it cool and then ran it in, it gave it a bit more tension on the bolt (not the spring) when it was at a weak setting.

The one reason that I removed my knob was imply because I knocked holsters with someone one time and it was because of the screw sticking out... that's about the only reason, we walked through a tight area and in passing we knocked holsters/guns... That really the only reason for my mod.

Thanks for a great product and more so, thanks for great support!

Alan