Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Three questions on the EAA 9mm steel Witness

Hi all,

I just bought a new base model EAA Tanfoglio all steel full size 9mm Witness. (I found that the pistol I normally use for USPSA, a 9mm Taurus PT-911 -- while a well made and a great looking gun -- just didn't have even close to the accuracy required for USPSA, so it was time for a new gun!).

Three dumb questions: 1. How do you pronounce "Tanfoglio"; 2. How to adjust the rear sight (this is not the simple Witness drift-type sight, but it is larger and has two small hex screws, and the sight is marked "LPA" ); 3. And what do I call this particular pistol, a "EAA Witness" or a "Tanfoglio"?

See, I told you these would be dumb questions.

-Bill

WitnessFullSizeCropped.png

1. Tan-Fog-Leo

2. Can you take a picture of the Rear Sight? The LPA should have two flat headed screws that should turn to raise and lower and swing from left and right.

3. EAA is the company that distributes most of the Tanfoglio Series Pistols to the United States. You can refer to it as the Witness Steel or Tanfoglio Steel.

1. Tan-Fog-Leo

2. Can you take a picture of the Rear Sight? The LPA should have two flat headed screws that should turn to raise and lower and swing from left and right.

3. EAA is the company that distributes most of the Tanfoglio Series Pistols to the United States. You can refer to it as the Witness Steel or Tanfoglio Steel.

Thanks jmcmanis! A picture of the sights, which are not mentioned at all in the Witness' print/PDF manual, is shown here (I have blacked-out the white and red dots on mine, since I find such things to be distracting/blurry):

sights.jpg

-Bill

Actually, the "g" is almost silent...//tan-fOh-leeO//

Hi all,

I just bought a new base model EAA Tanfoglio all steel full size 9mm Witness. (I found that the pistol I normally use for USPSA, a 9mm Taurus PT-911 -- while a well made and a great looking gun -- just didn't have even close to the accuracy required for USPSA, so it was time for a new gun!).

Three dumb questions: 1. How do you pronounce "Tanfoglio"; 2. How to adjust the rear sight (this is not the simple Witness drift-type sight, but it is larger and has two small hex screws, and the sight is marked "LPA" ); 3. And what do I call this particular pistol, a "EAA Witness" or a "Tanfoglio"?

See, I told you these would be dumb questions.

-Bill

WitnessFullSizeCropped.png

If you would like some better sights, check with Henning. He's in the dealer section of the forum. You can also get magazines and extended basepads and pretty much all the stuff you need to turn a good gun into a great one. One question where is the spacer in you 9mm magazine? Front or back? The mags with the spacer in the back apparently work much much better.

If you would like some better sights, check with Henning. He's in the dealer section of the forum. You can also get magazines and extended basepads and pretty much all the stuff you need to turn a good gun into a great one. One question where is the spacer in you 9mm magazine? Front or back? The mags with the spacer in the back apparently work much much better.

Hi J-Ho,

I normally like fully adjustable sights, but after taking this gun to the range today, I found that everything is shooting at point of aim, so I am pleased. I am also pleased with the gun's inherent accuracy, as on the bench I was able to place six shots into a two inch circle at 25 yards. (My Taurus PT-911 shoots a average TWELVE inch group, which is why I bought this great Tanfoglio for USPSA).

Still can't find out from anyone about what those two set screws are for on the top of the rear sight, though.

I don't know which mags I have, since I am not sure what a "spacer" even is! But here are pics of it.

post-24711-127585532731_thumb.jpg

post-24711-127585533702_thumb.jpg

Look in the top of the mag for the spacer. The mags are longer front to back than they need to be because all the guns imported to the US are large frame guns. There is a little spacer the is basically a strip of metal olong the front or back wall of the mag body.

Look in the top of the mag for the spacer. The mags are longer front to back than they need to be because all the guns imported to the US are large frame guns. There is a little spacer the is basically a strip of metal olong the front or back wall of the mag body.

Oh, I see it! I have never seen such a thing in a gun mag before. (I guess Tanfoglio uses the same frame for all of their guns, so they need spacers for the little 9mm rounds). Unfortunately, all of my mags -- even the one that came with the gun -- has the spacer in front of the mag, instead of in the back. I hope that is not a really bad thing, as in causing the pistol to jam a lot...

-Bill

Edited by Will B. Droopy

Shoot it and see. You might luck out and get one that runs. If not just buy the new mags with rear spacers and you'll be fine. I've never shot them but have heard good things about the new mags.

the screws in the sight are to lock in the windage if you need to adjust the windage you would loosen the screws and drift the sight to change it and then re tighten the screws. if the gun is hitting point of aim then you will probably never have to move the sight.

Mike

the screws in the sight are to lock in the windage if you need to adjust the windage you would loosen the screws and drift the sight to change it and then re tighten the screws. if the gun is hitting point of aim then you will probably never have to move the sight.

Mike

That's what I thought: thanks Mike!

-Bill