Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing M&P slide stop

Will_M

How hard is it to replace an M&P slide stop? I managed to somehow break mine completely off internally. I called S&W and the customer service guy seemed to be having a bad day.

I've stripped the gun before for the Burwell DIY trigger job so I'm comfortable taking it apart. The customer service guy just sounded reluctant when I told him I wanted to order the part and not send it in.

• 2 weeks later...

How hard is it to replace an M&P slide stop? I managed to somehow break mine completely off internally. I called S&W and the customer service guy seemed to be having a bad day.

I can't help with how to do it, but I've tried one approach that's NOT the right one. :) At least I know that, now.

But while you're in there and have the trigger return spring out, inspect the spring itself. I found a considerable amount of wear on the coil from where it's rubbed against the sharp-cornered channel in the upper portion of the triggerpiece. It's worn off about 20% of the spring wire diameter, and I have only about 2,000 rds through the gun.