Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My STI Tactical 5.0 does NOT like AA#7

scap99

There isn't anything wrong with my mags. I don't feel safe shoving the bullet so far into the lands that I can't rack the slide on the XDM. The chamber on the STI is much longer than on the XDM.

I didn't mean there was something "wrong" with your mags. Your mags are going to be the limiting factor in your OAL, not your chamber. XDM mags are designed to run factory length ammo. The rounds will start dragging on the front of the mag before you run out of chamber/throat in most cases. The chamber on the STI is the same length as the chamber on a XDM. The STI might be throated to allow for a longer OAL than the XDM though.

gotcha now. The throated portion of the bbl is much much longer in the STI than in the XDM. Funny thing is that in my particular XDM, there is very little throating, or the throated portion is incredibly tight. With the MG 124gr JHP's I have a maximum OAL of 1.135 in the XDM, and I back that off by 0.010 for wiggle room. Anything longer and you have to grip the side over the top with your left hand and slam the web of your right hand into the grip safety to get the round to eject.

Short round try 4.2gr of TiteGroup with your 124gr mtg that will put you up at 130+pf and it is soft shooting just a little dirty and plenty too hot plus reverse temp sensative. But cheap and easy to find. I've got scars on my left hand from knocking the back of my SS slide and hitting the sights, to knock it into battery and just another .002 shorter made it all better. I won two XD's last year I like them they sold fast. Actually not a bad gun for the money.

Picked up some TG from a local shop this afternoon, their selection of pistol powder was quite lacking. I'm going to try your recommendation of 4.2 grains and see how it does.

I'll try not to burn my hands, but we'll see. Dang, I love experimenting...

CocoBolo, thanks for the TG recommendation. I loaded up about 100 with your recipe of 4.2 grains of TG under the 124gr Montana Gold JHP.

These guys shoot soft! BIG difference against my N350 loads.

:cheers:

AA #7 is definitely not good for 9mm Minor. In 9mm Major, it starts to shine when you put 10+ grains behind 124gr bullet. Every powder has its own range where it shines, AA #7 just is not for 9mm Minor.

Silhouette is ok, but creates much higher pressure with 9mm Major loads.

Like others said, with 9mm Minor go with the mainstream : Titegroup, Solo 1000 or AA #2. N320 is only expensive and hard to get. I have got best results with TG.

I don't think AA7 is that bad. I used to shoot it in Production under a 115gr FMJ and I got along fine with it, that's 7.9 grains under a 115gr FMJ, somewhat lighter loaded than your 8.8gr. under 124gr. I usually cleaned the gun every 1000 rounds or so. A guy who tried my loads in his singlestack liked them so much he wanted to start loading them. PF was around 132.

AA #7 is definitely not good for 9mm Minor. In 9mm Major, it starts to shine when you put 10+ grains behind 124gr bullet. Every powder has its own range where it shines, AA #7 just is not for 9mm Minor.

Silhouette is ok, but creates much higher pressure with 9mm Major loads.

Like others said, with 9mm Minor go with the mainstream : Titegroup, Solo 1000 or AA #2. N320 is only expensive and hard to get. I have got best results with TG.

I don't think AA7 is that bad. I used to shoot it in Production under a 115gr FMJ and I got along fine with it, that's 7.9 grains under a 115gr FMJ, somewhat lighter loaded than your 8.8gr. under 124gr. I usually cleaned the gun every 1000 rounds or so. A guy who tried my loads in his singlestack liked them so much he wanted to start loading them. PF was around 132.

AA7 worked great in my XDM, but my STI wouldn't feed it for anything. Just not enough forward force on the slide to shove the round fully into battery with the "coarse ground black pepper" grains left behind in the chamber.

I wish it would have worked better for me, as I have most of the pound of it left over. I might try it in a .40 load and see how it does, but for my STI, which is my primary shooter, it's just not good enough.