Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Give Away First Place

BillD

Last years Indiana Regional IDPA Championship, with Rhino flapping in the breeze in attendance.

I am the MD. We get everything set up the day before the match and walk through all the stages so the guys who are SOing know what to look for. Then it is time for all SO's, helpers and me to shoot the match. First stage is a 17 round basically, shoot 3 on the move, get to one side of car, engage steel and more targets, reload when you need to, move to other side of car and finish up.

I shoot CDP so I can't make up shots unless I want an extra reload.

I start and hit the first 3 guys one handed real quick. I get to cover, kneel and engage the steel at 18 yds and miss. There goes an extra reload. Ok, I get the steel knocked down and am still moving good. Gun goes MT (we do that in IDPA B) ) and for some unGodly reason, reload from my vest pocket (my initial charging mag that has 2 rounds in it). Realize what I have done and eject that mag and put it back in my pocket. Reload from my mag pouch and finish the run. I have screwed up so bad I can't believe it. I had 3 reloads in a COF that would only have one. It's a wonder I didn't get in the plywood car and try to drive away. I do pretty well on the rest of the match. The next day at the match, I lose first place SS to a guy by .6 of a sec. Guys I usually shoot close to beat me by 5-7 seconds on the gone to hell stage. That 2nd place plaque makes me grin every time I look at it.