Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor Effectiveness vs. Compensator Effectiveness

I never disagree with Todd-there's no percentage in it. I love shooting my guns with compensators on them, I love adjusting the gas, and I think that they shoot way better than with a flash hider that comes stock. That said, my shooting friends love my suppressors and my family love my suppressors on my guns. I love my suppressors. It really is no fun being in the cone of a compensator. I think that if you go to a short barrel and a suppressor-that's a good combo, but trying to travel with that can be problematic. For pure shooting effectiveness, a good compensator and tunable gas system is it for me.

I'm quite aware I said "doubled recoil". Although not the correct choice in words as I stated I guess you'll still exploit it. The thread is to the effectiveness of a suppressor versus a compensator. That was the point of posting what my "new friend" and I discussed. But it was also only a small tidbit of what we discussed. Much of what I already posted was confirmed in our discussion.

I do not disagree with anything Todd posted. But what I see with a comp is barrel movement. Not much but some. With my can I see none at all and on long range targets this is more important to me than a small increase in recoil to the rear.

Mr. Bond, you realize Tod is saying that a suppressor increases the recoil of a rifle, while you said it was the best recoil reducer right? What am I misreading here? How can you not be in disagreement when both of your opinions contradict?

Dude....REALLY?

I do not disagree with anything Todd posted. But what I see with a comp is barrel movement. Not much but some. With my can I see none at all and on long range targets this is more important to me than a small increase in recoil to the rear.

Mr. Bond, you realize Tod is saying that a suppressor increases the recoil of a rifle, while you said it was the best recoil reducer right? What am I misreading here? How can you not be in disagreement when both of your opinions contradict?

Dude....REALLY?

Recoil has two elements which are horizontal and vertical. IMO the suppressor increases slightly the horizontal recoil and zeros the vertical. Vertical recoil is what is also called muzzle flip which a compensator reduces. If we all liked the same flavor of ice cream Baskin Robins would not have 150 flavors.

I'm quite aware I said "doubled recoil". Although not the correct choice in words as I stated I guess you'll still exploit it. The thread is to the effectiveness of a suppressor versus a compensator. That was the point of posting what my "new friend" and I discussed. But it was also only a small tidbit of what we discussed. Much of what I already posted was confirmed in our discussion.

Originally, the thread started out as "Most Effective Muzzle Brake" or something like that (Actually it was "Best Compensator for an AR-15), but it got split off and re-titled as it is now. I did not start the discussion or participate in the discussion of suppressor vs comp. I only participated because YOU said a suppressor increased recoil which isn't true. It may not decrease as much recoil as a comp, but it doesn't increase the recoil of a rifle, bolt or gas, and that is a fact.

I shoot gas guns in 223,308,260,6.5 Grendel and even a few other wildcat calibers. I have shot them all suppressed and unsuppressed. The results I get when adding a suppressor have all been pretty much the same. I feel increased recoil until gas pressure is decreased to a point that keeps the speed of the reciprocating assembly close to the same prior to the addition of the suppressor.

You add a suppressor to a rifle and get increased recoil. Something's very wrong with your rifles.

If you said you replaced the compensator on your rifle with a suppressor and you thought the recoil was greater, ok, I'll take that.

I read it on the errornet so it must be true! :roflol:

From Wikipedia:

Suppressors can increase the precision of a rifle, as they strip away hot gases from around the projectile in a uniform fashion. The suppressor can reduce the recoil significantly as it traps the escaping gas. This gas mass is a little less than one-half the projectile mass (approximately 1.6 grams vs 4 grams for 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition), with the gas exiting the muzzle at about twice the projectile's velocity, thus giving a reduction in the felt recoil of approximately 15%.[1] The added weight of the suppressor — normally 300 to 500 grams — also contributes to the reduction of the recoil, though a significantly heavy suppressor would unbalance a weapon. Further, the pressure against the face of each baffle is higher than the pressure on its reverse side, making each baffle a miniature "pneumatic ram" which pulls the suppressor forward on the weapon, which can contribute an immense force to counter recoil.

Originally, the thread started out as "Most Effective Muzzle Brake" or something like that (Actually it was "Best Compensator for an AR-15), but it got split off and re-titled as it is now. I did not start the discussion or participate in the discussion of suppressor vs comp. I only participated because YOU said a suppressor increased recoil which isn't true. It may not decrease as much recoil as a comp, but it doesn't increase the recoil of a rifle, bolt or gas, and that is a fact.

Bobby....true or not. My perception and what I feel are an increased recoil impulse. You can argue semantics all you want. The recoil impulse is increased and felt differently to myself....the shooter.