Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye lessons

megathumpzilla

I recently lost my dominant eye in a freak accident.

This is the sixth week of my new sightedness.

I've worked my dry fire and drills around really locking in my natural point of aim, and trusting it. I'm needing to really have my front sights come up first and raise the rear to the sight, and then let the shot go. Often I'm on target before I can confirm with my eye and the whole draw-first shot motion is working itself out with much less eye involvement than before.

I've had my grip pretty well sorted before the accident, and am now able to feel it better. I am much less distracted going through my stages- grip is all about grip now, sight picture is becoming less of a sticking point, and when I'm pulling the trigger my entire being is feeling the trigger. The trigger is now my main concern, that's what is going to pull me off target in a miss.My sight picture is much more stable without my eyes confusing me once it is on it is on.

Without my eyesight trying to completely run the show everything falls together. This is still a new process I'm learning to trust, anxiety can crop up and ruin everything, just like it always did, but it used to manifest through my eyes and now attacks my breath. For me it is much easier to address my breathing

eyes are a trap.

here are a few not so zen observations-

My non sighted eye tries to fill in detail based on what the other eye knows and off memory. I bet that happens all the time to full sighted lookers, watch out!

I can now see my eye lashes. Curling them up helps my overall vision, it is like cleaning glasses. I wonder if it would help stereo vision to curl them up- it's one less thing for the brain to erase.