Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pros and Cons of 4 or 6 round PM SG strippers

swandme

Well, you guys convinced me and I had to order 2 4-round caddies to go with my 6-round ones and see how they work. When I first worked with them, the fit and finish wasn't as nice as my 6-rounders (all CCW), but that changed when I adjusted the belt clip on the back to increase the tension on the wire retainers.

As far as reloading goes, I didn't really notice any difference in speed, but I'm not really an expert at reloading. The 4-round ones are probably more consistent under stress.

Last weekend I shot at a USPSA match that had a shotgun side match. The targets were broken up into 4 groups of 3 with an additional 8 at the very end. It was definitely convenient to load up before the buzzer and then load 3 after each group while moving to the next engagement and have a full mag for the last targets. The 6-round carriers were great for that stage, but you would be in trouble if you missed more than one shot. I guess the best option (in my eyes) is to have both 6 and 4 round carriers and configure them for the individual stage.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the best option (in my eyes) is to have both 6 and 4 round carriers and configure them for the individual stage.

I was thinking that as well, but I did so much practicing with the 4 round caddies I attempted a load from the 6 rounder yesterday and messed it up. I got in the habit of just grabbing from the bottom of the 4 round caddy that when I grabbed at the 6 rounder I when into mongoloid mode and wasn't thinking and just grabbed from the bottom and pulled out all 6, didn't work to well when trying to stuff them in the tube. I think I am too slow in the head to switch back and forth from 4 to 6, but that is just me.

I have one 6-rounder off to the side that often stays empty, as I use 4-rounders up front almost exclusively. I like having the 6-rounder for segregating slugs. Most of the time that's all the extra slugs I need to carry and it offers a very distinct separation from my primary bird-shot loaders. It's one more safeguard against paying Denise & JJ $25 for a dented bird-shot plate! I also find it rare that I need to load more than 2 or 3 slugs at a time, so the 6-rounder offers more logical division of the shells for me... grab 2 three times or grab 3 twice, etc.

I have one 6-rounder off to the side that often stays empty, as I use 4-rounders up front almost exclusively. I like having the 6-rounder for segregating slugs. Most of the time that's all the extra slugs I need to carry and it offers a very distinct separation from my primary bird-shot loaders. It's one more safeguard against paying Denise & JJ $25 for a dented bird-shot plate! I also find it rare that I need to load more than 2 or 3 slugs at a time, so the 6-rounder offers more logical division of the shells for me... grab 2 three times or grab 3 twice, etc.

I think that's the route I am heading too.

I was looking at some of Mark Otto's chest rigs online. Why doesn't anyone load off of their chest for weakhand reloads? It seems like you could be .1-.2 seconds faster to get to your shells as compared to reaching down to your belt. Other than i looks kinds goofy why don't you see it used more than at the Iron Man match where you need 50 rounds of shotgun on youa tnay one given stage?

I guess the best option (in my eyes) is to have both 6 and 4 round carriers and configure them for the individual stage.

I was thinking that as well, but I did so much practicing with the 4 round caddies I attempted a load from the 6 rounder yesterday and messed it up. I got in the habit of just grabbing from the bottom of the 4 round caddy that when I grabbed at the 6 rounder I when into mongoloid mode and wasn't thinking and just grabbed from the bottom and pulled out all 6, didn't work to well when trying to stuff them in the tube. I think I am too slow in the head to switch back and forth from 4 to 6, but that is just me.

I was a little worried about that too, but all of my practice was from the 6-round carriers, so I index from the top and didn't have any problems. Right now I've spent enough money on caddies and I'll work with what I've got until I can justify buying some nicer ones.

I think that's the route I am heading too.

I was looking at some of Mark Otto's chest rigs online. Why doesn't anyone load off of their chest for weakhand reloads? It seems like you could be .1-.2 seconds faster to get to your shells as compared to reaching down to your belt. Other than i looks kinds goofy why don't you see it used more than at the Iron Man match where you need 50 rounds of shotgun on youa tnay one given stage?

I load weak hand and have been wanting some sort of chest rig for the rare, high round count shotgun stage. Most of the time the 22 on my belt plus whatever's in the gun is plenty, but now and again you have those 50 rounders and a chest rig, completely independent of the rest of your gear, would be so easy to toss on quick before the stage without upsetting the rest of your gear. I'll have to look at that Mark Otto rig.