Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How I pinned my Tanfoglio Mags

slavex

Here in Canada we are stuck with 10 rounds no matter what. So I had to figure out a better way to limit my Tanfoglio mags than what the factory offered. The laser cut/dimpled mags broke rather easily, and because of the dimples, were a pain in the ass to take apart. Initially I was going to pin the interior base plate with a long pin that the follower would hit. Problems was, then you couldn't attach the spring to the plate and the plate would wobble and twist. So I decided to get some small aluminum tubing, thread it at both ends, and screw one end onto the small leg inside the follower. I also turned a small set screw into the other end. It took a few tries, but once I got the initial length worked out, it was easy. The purpose of the small setscrew is to prevent the rod from twisting or bending the plastic leg on the follower when it bottoms out. the set screw engages the dimple in the interior locking plate, and makes so that you can't force the follower past 10.5 rounds. Once everything was done, I loctited the screw, and gorilla glued the tube in place. Finding the right diameter tube wasn't too bad, the local hobby shop had a ton of different ones. You don't need to thread the post on the follower, as the threads in the tube will do it for you as you carefully thread it on.

A slightly shorter rod would enable me to load 15 rounds, but I can't do that here in Canada, so most likely I'll just use factory followers when I compete outside of Canada. But for those of you wanting a way to ensure 15 round complianec without counting, this is a decent way, and doesn't wreck your mags.

follower001.jpg

follower002.jpg

follower003.jpg

follower004.jpg

Hey thats pretty cool, we have the same 10 round limit here in Australia as well, and while I have had all my mags welded to stop them from breaking, I could use this idea to remove the factory limiting dimples as they can cause some spring binding issues.

Neccessity sure is the mother of ivention..........

Cheers,

Graham.