Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much WST for 9mm 115gr

beginner shooter

9mm 115 and WST is in the Hornady Fourth Edition Manual. Starting load 5.2 at 1050 FPS 5.6 MAX load at 1150 FPS.Looks like the max load would be compressed.

How do you attached a scan of this page?

Tom

Save the scan as a picture, use the attach image option (2 to the right of the smiley) Then just click attach.

Well I have used WST for over 15 years for 9mm

4.5 with a 125lrn is a good load

5.2 with MG 115 fmj is a sweet load

the plated bullets are all junk in 9mm

they are even softer than cast so usually are not very accurate

I wouldnt have an issue shooting them as you loaded them

but they prob wont be very accurate

4.5 would prob work better but get some real bullets , either cast or jacketed , plated are not the way to go

Rick

After a little range research I found what works best. 4.8gr of WST with a 115gr plated bullet gives pleanty of power to operate the gun and pretty good accuracy. By pretty good I mean we were hitting a 4" steel plate at 35yds pretty consistantly. Ran the rounds in both a Barretta and a H&K USP. No pressure problems to report with this load, although at 5.4gr of powder the primers started to look a bit flattened and the gun got kind of 'snappy' with its recoil. Either way 4.8 is what works for our everyday plinking so thats what Im going to end up using. And no I would never even entertain the idea of using plated bullets in my .40 match gun. ;)

I load 5.0gr of WST with 115gr Zero at 1.140 no pressure signs at 1040fps, 5.2 while over the recommended load is not that hot. I think you are ok with any gun that has a +P rating.

9 mm is toughter than you think I'm stuffing the case to the top with powder compressing it and letting the bullet find its own oal and getting 1500 fps, without pressure signs. Don't try this at home.

WST is very similar to 231 and as such I just drop .1 gr off the 231 load start at the lower end and work up.

WST is temp sensative and in hot temps it loses it power so on a hot day less pressure and power. Keep it out of the sun, some guys carry thier ammo in a cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

Through an M&P 9 full-size (4.25"), 5.0 gr of WST gave me 1117 fps for 128pf with Montana Gold 115gr CMJ.

Same load through a S&W 469 gave 1070 fps for 123 pf.

From what I've heard, the plated bullets will go faster and generate more pressure.

No, plated bullets will generate LESS pressure, but they will go faster. R,

How can a bullet that produces LESS pressure yield more velocity? I'm not calling BS... it just seems like a miracle formula.