Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loading .223 with mr. bulletfeeder

jaredr

Wanted to ask: what if any special brass prep or neck expansion are people performing to assist with bullet seating using Mr. Bulletfeeder?

Background: bought the bulletfeeder a few years back when it was sold under the KISS name, have been very satisfied used it for .45, 9mm, and .38, finally bought the conversion for .223. For pistol calibers, it was important to bell the cartridge mouth just a bit to ensure that the bulletfeeder could "place" the bullet into the cartridge mouth. keen to hear from others who are using it for .223 - what if anything are you doing to the .223 case mouth or neck to make it work with the Mr. Bulletfeeder unit? I will be loading 55 gr ball (hornady or montanta gold - both a boattail bullets) and am prepping brass on separate toolhead, which includes running expander ball through re-sized brass as last step in brass prep.

Had spoken with Rick from Mr. Bulletfeeder and he'd suggested using a lyman m die or just using a screwed down dillon swaging die to open up the cartridge mouth a small amount - i'm open to either, just interested in hearing from other folks about what they have tried and what has (or has not) worked.

thanks in advance,

jared

I am using his dropper for 223 on my dillon 650. The M die should be part of the kit. It wont work without that extra little bit of belling. I am using the same bullets as you. Without the m die, they would just fall out when the shell plate indexed. i suppose the swage rod on the 1050 would work as well. I don't have one, so cant say from experience.cheers.gif

I am using his dropper for 223 on my dillon 650. The M die should be part of the kit. It wont work without that extra little bit of belling. I am using the same bullets as you. Without the m die, they would just fall out when the shell plate indexed. i suppose the swage rod on the 1050 would work as well. I don't have one, so cant say from experience.cheers.gif

thanks for your reply! i'll go ahead and pick up an Mdie:)

-jaredr