Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't load AR mags with brains in "off" - mode

aessu

Well, during last summer I was in local nationals as patcher, shooting the prematch. Before a stage i think I'd just top off a half full mag from last COF. Because it was only 16 rounds, i thought i wouldn´t need a spare mag. The first error. On top of that, I managed to put 31 rounds in the mag - and the start condition was chamber empty, bolt forward, mag in your hand. I had to beat the gun against the ground pretty hard to make the mag seat in the gun. After 12 rounds or so, the floor plate and all the rest fell off. What a perfect way to ruin a stage!

Edited by aessu

When loading AR mags, the mag will be full with a bullet on the right hand side, if the front of the mag is away from you. If you have a mag with the top bullet on the left, either you are short, or have just overloaded your mag. In Kyle Lamb's book, he recommends that you load your mag to the top, and when you load your rifle, insert the mag and rack the bolt, letting the charging handle drop hard. Drop your mag and make sure the round on top is now on the left! That tells you that the round that was on the right is now loaded and your rifle is charged. Reinsert the mag, making sure it is seated, and the mag catch is engaged, and you are ready to go. The good thing about this, is you can do this in the dark by feel. I have gotten a lot of tips out of his book, and they have all helped me along. I highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

When loading AR mags, the mag will be full with a bullet on the right hand side, if the front of the mag is away from you. If you have a mag with the top bullet on the left, either you are short, or have just overloaded your mag. In Kyle Lamb's book, he recommends that you load your mag to the top, and when you load your rifle, insert the mag and rack the bolt, letting the charging handle drop hard. Drop your mag and make sure the round on top is now on the left! That tells you that the round that was on the right is now loaded and your rifle is charged. Reinsert the mag, making sure it is seated, and the mag catch is engaged, and you are ready to go. The good thing about this, is you can do this in the dark by feel. I have gotten a lot of tips out of his book, and they have all helped me along. I highly recommend it.

Always learning something new. I've been shooting the AR platfrom for 15 years and just figured out the right/left rule this week. Excellent point!

As we also know never let anyone else load your mags for you. That way you know what is loaded how many and you can not blame anyone for any malfunctions. A lot of us have learned that over the years in training due to one of your buddies setting your mag up for faliure, dummies or bad rounds. That's fine if your working on drills. But anytime the rounds have to count load your own.