Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

c-more dot size

open67

Stick with the 8 moa dot Brian. That's the same word I use to describe my front sight on my LTD guns ...... laser. If it works ..... don't fix it.

Thanks, Chris. Actually shot a match last weekend with the "round" 8moa dot and it worked fine. I don't really see any advantage to change back to the 12.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here Bart. Front sight and target focus are two other animals. What may be acceptable for one my not be for the other... With a dot, really nothing is covered as your weak side eye is focused on the same plane and that is the target. The reverse is true for a iron sight gun.

I think many people like the smaller dot because if they see the dot on a piece of steel they get the hit. This is NOT always true with a larger dot. When you're turning and burning you tend to see red on white and fire. That will NOT work if you have less than half that dot on the target, but to the mind you see 2-3 inches of dot on the popper. This is why guys tend to miss steel... they see red on whte, but it just isn't close enough to the middle. That very think happened to me last Thurs..

JT

It's funny you say that. I just got back from the range shooting a little steel with my M41 with the Bully/C-more combo and it has a 16moa dot on it. I actually had some hits on the edge that I thought were going to be misses because the dot was only partially on the plate.

Still, the "problem" of seeing red on white and missing isn't any different than seeing black on white and missing. The front sight covers more of the target, and the edge of the sight to where the bullet actually will be is even larger than it will be for a dot...so if you shoot when you have less than half the front sight on the steel, you'll get the same, or worse, results than you will with a dot. All of that goes back to shot calling, and if you know you need to see all of the blade on the target, it's no different than needing to see all of the dot on the target...but you'll be able to see more target with a dot, unless you've got the front sight of a Luger :P

The thing is people claim that the bigger dots cover too much of the target. That's completely untrue. For whatever reason, a smaller dot might work better for someone, but it's not because of how much target is being covered, or the problem would be far worse with iron sights. From what I've seen, and the folks that I know who've tried bigger dots, I'd be willing to bet that if people gave a larger dot an equal test so that it "looked right" which is to say they're just used to it, more than half of those folks would switch. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I know at least four or five good Open shooters who've tried a bigger dot in the last year or so and none of them has gone back to the smaller dot...but they gave it a fair chance.

I'd be interested to see how the average front sight width pairs up with the average dot size for people who shoot both, but I'm guessing 90% of the folks haven't tried more than a 6 or an 8moa dot. R,