Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Barricade

Bill Schwab

This is no-brainer type stuff, but I figured I'd share it because I've been really impressed with how much it's helped.

I am unable to live fire practice barricade and port shooting :( , so in an effort to dry-fire practice barricade and port shooting I took a large piece of cardboard I had left over from last summers screen door project and cut in into a 2' by 6' rectangle. I then added port holes for standing and kneeling shooting, which I cover with a sheet of paper when I am not using. I have a low ceiling with beams exposed in my gun room so I punched a hole in the top of the barricade and hung my creation from a nail in the ceiling. Voila, instant barricade! As a bonus it's light and takes up little space, so I can store it behind my safe.

I've been setting up stages with my small ipsic targets and feel that over the past few days I have definetly improved my technique, specifically the order in which I engage targets.

Hope this helps someone!

I spent the holidays setting up a better dry fire area. I made my barricade out of pvc. I ran wires from my rafters around the room so I could hang targets, vision barriers, and cardboard barricades. I also have a net that I can hang from the rafters to catch mags when I'm doing mag changes.

Bill, this is very cool! And I admire your indomitable spirit. (Now, I don't feel so crazy with this big piece of cardboard stapled to a wooden step-ladder in my barn.) Dry fire practice is terribly important and we should all go to such lenghts as you have to construct our dry-fire ranges. The little IPSC targets are a great training aid too.

Hey, maybe one of you techno-masters can post some pics of a 1/6 scale target so we dryfirists have some easy cut outs for our walls? Please? :D

Sam,

Dry-firing in Wyoming in a barn in the winter , that indomitable :blink:

Some info about the targets I have, looks like Chris Patty has some for sale on his site too (see above thread). In case you wanted to do it yourself, my target measures 12" from bottom edge to top of shoulder, 15" from bottom edge to top of head, 9 1/4" across the body and the head is 3" wide, it's a 4:1 scale.

I may see you again next summer Sam, the wife is planning a trip for us out there and I'll just have to adjust the trip dates to allow myself to hit a match or two ;)

Bill, I'm not totally nuts! I've got a centrifugal bullet trap in the barn. If I'm going to stand out in the cold, I'm firing 45s. B) I shoot in there in the winter because I don't have lights on my range and it gets dark so early this time of year. I still do my dry firing in the basement, where it's warm!

Please send me a PM when you get your vacation dates figured out. There is going to be some very good shooting in the area this summer. I might see if I can slip down to Colorado and catch a match with ya. Thanks for the links to the targets!