Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Crown - Elite Match

10mmjunkie

Have a Witness Elite Match in 10mm and the crown on the barrel was terrible. Had a local gunsmith re-cut it before I ever took it to the range. Shoots great.

Now I have a new factory 40S&W barrel that drops into the gun like it was made for it, but with the same crown issue. Is this normal? The bottom half of the barrel has a clear bevel and the top is rounded. This is going to release the bottom of the bullet before the top. Can not imagine that it will be accurate, but admit I have yet to shoot it.

Any suggestions.

Was not planning on shooting today but could not stand it. Barrel with the bad crown will still put every bullet (60 of them) into a 3in circle at 50 ft. Most went into a ragged hole, the rest was probably my bad eyes and shaky hands. Will probably have the crown re-cut just because it bothers me, but this is more than good enough for steels. Just need more practice.

By the way used 10mm mags to shoot 40S&W with no issues at all. Pleasant surprise.

Was not planning on shooting today but could not stand it. Barrel with the bad crown will still put every bullet (60 of them) into a 3in circle at 50 ft. Most went into a ragged hole, the rest was probably my bad eyes and shaky hands. Will probably have the crown re-cut just because it bothers me, but this is more than good enough for steels. Just need more practice.

By the way used 10mm mags to shoot 40S&W with no issues at all. Pleasant surprise.

Will your 10 mm shoot 40 S&W ammo?

I have the same setup a 10mm with a factory 40 barrel I love the gun and shoot a ton of 40 with it only own 10mm mags and mostly run 40 sw handloads loaded a bit long. I never looked to close at the crowns I will have to look wen I get home and see what they look like I know both barrels shoot great though. I did notice one difference 10mm at the same powerfactor as 40 seams to throw the brass about 3 times farther (its great when the guys on the next bay to the right start returning your brass after it lands on them.

enjoy the gun and if you want any parts look up Henning here he is the man with aftermarket parts.

Mike

Edited by bikerburgess

Have a Witness Elite Match in 10mm and the crown on the barrel was terrible. Had a local gunsmith re-cut it before I ever took it to the range. Shoots great.

Now I have a new factory 40S&W barrel that drops into the gun like it was made for it, but with the same crown issue. Is this normal? The bottom half of the barrel has a clear bevel and the top is rounded. This is going to release the bottom of the bullet before the top. Can not imagine that it will be accurate, but admit I have yet to shoot it.

Any suggestions.

My question would have been how did it shoot before you had a new crown cut. I have about 10 different tangfo's and never had a crown issue or one that wasn't dead on with most any loads.

leo

The crown on my Match 40 is similar to the what the original poster describes. Mine shoots very well so far. I'm more concerned with the ding/dent on the very end (face) of my barrel...it looks pretty bad (came that way from the factory), but fortunately doesn't quite touch the crown.

LEOHALLAK - Never shot the 10mm barrel before I had the crown re-cut. The same gun with a 40 S&W barrel that has the same problem as the original barrel shoots fine with a bad crown. Not sure what to make of this. Can remember a very fine 45 revolver from years past that was dropped and had a ding in the crown. That revolver went from shooting 2in at 50 yds to you could not measure the group at half the distance. Re-cutting the crown turned into a 1.5 in shooter at 50 yds. That was with a rest, certainly the owner not I could shoot that well.

1973 - Everything is working fine. The ammo is to factory length for 40 S&W and no malfunctions of any kind from 4 different 10mm mags. Plan on using this set up this weekend for a Steel Match. First time out in over a year so my expectations are low for my performance. Pretty sure that any issues will be with me and not the equipment. Plan to keep the slow and smooth with no misses. Will build my speed back later.

Best wishes to all. Thanks for the information.

JW

The crown on my Match 40 is similar to the what the original poster describes. Mine shoots very well so far. I'm more concerned with the ding/dent on the very end (face) of my barrel...it looks pretty bad (came that way from the factory), but fortunately doesn't quite touch the crown.

Could we see some pictures?

leo

Could we see some pictures?

leo

Sorry, Leo, I just realized you were talking to me, not 10mmjunkie. I'll see what I can do about some pics later, but I'm not a good photographer at all...so the dings might not be very visible in any pics I take.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the HUGE delay. This is the best pic I could get. I don't think I have much of a macro feature and my photog skills absolutely blow. Anyway, the biggest ding on the face of the muzzle is at the 9 o'clock position, although there is a smaller one at 6 o'clock as well that isn't visible in pictures.

DSCN0767.jpg