Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modestly Priced Binoculars

Graham Smith

I have an inexpensive pair of 8x binoculars which have hardly been used but are OK for short ranges. I recently got a used spotting scope but it's way more than I need.

What I have decided I probably need is a pair of modestly priced binoculars. It's tough to research something like this because most of the good information on binoculars is geared toward people like bird watchers and prices start at $200 and go up rapidly. The other 98% of hits I'm getting on Google search are people selling binoculars - a poor source of information at best.

Anyone have any suggestions on something worth stuffing in my range bag that will work up to about 100yds and come in at under $100? It doesn't need to float in water or withstand a drop from 10,000 feet.

It's been my experience that "cheap" binoculars (or any optics for that matter) lack in optical quality. I have poor vision and really need good glass to get a good picture.

That said, I have a pair of Steiner 8X30 binoculars that I bought from SWFA's "sample list" They were factory refurbished. I paid $150

It's been my experience that "cheap" binoculars (or any optics for that matter) lack in optical quality.

Having spent a number of years in Army laboratories staring into microscopes, I'm well aware that you pretty much get what you pay for.

That said, I'm not going to be spending hours watching birds, I just want to check targets. I can do it OK on the shorter range with my little 8x glasses, but that's just not enough power for a 100yd range.

I have a pair of bushnell bino's in my range gear that I couldn't have payed more then $30 for and it works fine for shooting iron sighted guns and checking hits, specially if you pair it with shoot-n-see type targets. If the gun is scoped .. well I use the scope :)