Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much work can I do to my XDM 9 to stay in Tactical Optics?

Rivr_runnr

I am fairly new to 3 gun competition and was wondering what advice might be out there on modifications to the XDM 9 that would not go so far as to push me into the open classification (besides the trigger which has already been modified)? Can I put a comp on it? What benefit is there to guide rod changes/spring changes if I am shooting factory ammo? I have a suspicion that some mods receive the most "benefit" out of custom hand loading, but I barely have time to practice, so assume no time to reload when you give me advice. If I am alreay at 19+1, is there a significant advantage to increasing mag capacity with 140 mags and open style mag wells? I guess I am looking for a cost benefit type analysis...what to do first that would help the most. Thanks

Comp no. Magwell and 140mm mags are a big improvement, a stainless mag well will give a better balance and better hand position besides faster and easier reloads. You will get 24 rounds with a 140mm length mag, 5 rounds extra could be the difference in having to do a reload or not. The tungsten guide rods will also improve the guns manageability, also don't for get an extended mag release, sights, or a grip treatment.

Rich

Edited by RIIID

Basically you can do this.....It is not as much what you should do for 3 gun but more of what you want to do for your pistol matches. My gun fits Limited/Limited 10 class but since it is 9mm I will/and know I will be shooting minor. I believe you said you had a trigger job, and if so Production is out anyway. Therefore I say go all out. If budget is an issue then I would extend mags first, then magwell, then better sights ONLY if you are having trouble with the factory ones. Grips, guiderods, and ammo is up to you. Whatever works.

post-11138-126730140894_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, can you extend advice on who you favor for extensions/magwells? I forgot to mention I had changed the sights to Fiber optic, so I think I am good there. What guide rod and should I mess with a different spring?

philg80,

Trigger jobs are legal in USPSA Production.

Rivr,

I would go with the Canyon Creek parts but I'm a little bias on that.

Rich

I don't shoot Production so I am sorry for misquoting the rules. My trigger job has a different trigger bar and I thought if it wasn't a factory option then it wasn't allowed. As far as components I am not going to push you in any particular direction. My gun is a Springer Precision only because I got a REALLY good deal. Rich's guns are what even got me interested in the possibility of an XDM Limited. I was shooting an SPO1 Open gun before this so it was a huge change. One I would be happy to make again. I loved my Open gun but I will be able to do more with this XDM. Look at Canyon Creek, Springer Precision, Powder River Precision, XDTalk, and Pistol Gear. Try to look at all the photos you can to see the look of what you want. I plan on lightening my slide this spring and I have gotten alot of ideas from Rich's sight. Good luck and hope you get what you want.