Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass

pmclaine

The idea of multiple square deals does sound attractive but my desire to load 30-06 and have the powder check as well as case feed makes the 650 my tool of choice. I am hoping that by buying a tool head for each process I can maximize the utility and minimize the set up times.

I wasn't recommending that as a solution for you but to point out that what you think you need might not jibe with what you really want, after you have done it for a while. There's nothing wrong with going all out in your initial purchase, but be open to change as you gain some personal experience.

Some people absolutely hate switching between large and small primers so they will have two presses while others find the changeover to be trivial. Some like to load large batches infrequently but others like to load 100 at time whenever they have a few minutes. Those are the kind of things you won't know until you've done it.

All I'm really trying to say is don't let your $3400 initial expenditure lock you in a set up isn't ideal for you.

I didn't read more into your post than you intended. Your point was a great one!

Right now I care to load for only 2 pistols, a .40 SW Sig 226 friggin DAK and a .45 1911. I am considering an imbedded rail attachment on my bench - how nice would it be to just slide off one Square Deal and slide on another for caliber changes. I even considered the 1050 but the cost of individual tool head set ups is prohibitive, I can get all my 650 tool heads plus the RF100, super swage, case trimmer and alot of other goodies for alot less money. I will not have enough room for a 15 foot long bench with a bunch of machines not that you suggested that is what I should get. I have considered other options but must include the need for a rifle caliber, my want of a powder check and the facination with a case feeder.

After performing the required number of small reloading runs to get comfortable with the machine and dial in a product for my specific guns, I hope to have reloading sessions of about 1,000 rounds before a caliber change (there will be a lot of down time between sessions. I am not a competition level shooter). For the rifle I intend buying ammo from the CMP assuming their prices will follow past history. They sell 30-06 so cheap that my time spent will make it more desirable to just buy the ammo and stockpile/prepare the brass for the next time they run out. The accuracy of the surplus will be fine for the shooting I intend. Still I will be buying the 30-06 gear now because as the latest Blue Press catalog reveals the prices are not going to get cheaper.

Before buying anything I will speak with BE and probably post my shopping list for comment. I wonder what will happen when I do that? If the question "Is Remington UMC suitable brass for reloading?" generates 25 responses it should be fun asking for an opinion of what I intend to buy. I look forward to it though as this has been informative.

The primer change is a situation I dont have enough info on at this time. I have read the for and against opinions of the process. If it is in fact just a matter of perhaps 30 minutes to perform it will not be a big deal. I want to know if the design allows for buying a complete second set of parts to remove the primer system as a unit and change small to large, or vice versa, rather than change a few individual parts. If so I will buy a second system and swap it like a tool head. I will have to check the PDF documents to see what is involved.

Edited by pmclaine