Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock spring

anoshoot

Duane also wrote about its use by Dave Sevigny in an excellent and detailed article he wrote for the Glock Annual several years ago; Dave Sevigny modifies the part on his G35 by milling away a crescent-shaped portion on the lower right portion of the extended stop/release's flat, simultaneously minimizing the obtrusiveness of the part in conjunction with his grip (which Duane has also extensively written about), but preserving the triangular extension shelf.

I didn't say that, nor is that what Dave does. Here's a photo of the actual slide stop in question. It's actually considerably smaller than even the stock low profile jobbie.

post-604-126688440163_thumb.jpg

Heh, heh-but that would take me into the deep, murky, uncharted waters of IDPA's ESP Division

It's legal in SSP to replace any factory external part with any other factory external part. Thus it's perfectly legal to replace an extended slide stop on a G34 with a low profile G17 slide stop or vice versa. I say that as someone ran a G34 with replacement low profile slide stop in IDPA for, oh, four years.

I cheerfully stand corrected-the fabled Jon memory slipped. Thanks for the corrective photo-but does he use the OEM extended stop/release on his relatively unmodified G34?

And your articles have had a positive effect on me somewhat modifying my grip-last weekend's IDPA match with my G17 was one of my better ones, where I used the grip I described (and the extended slide stop/release...)

And we're in agreement regarding the non-penalizing replacebility of the Glock slide stop/release and magazine release in IDPA and GSSF-I thought you were talking about stippling/carving/whittling on the grip-hence my previous "deep and murky waters" comment...

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

Look at how high up on the gun Dave grips a Glock. One quote I've always loved from Dave: "If I could get both hands on top of the gun to hold it down, I'd do that, too." There is no way on God's green Earth he's running an extended slide stop with his grip technique.

BTW, I have actually handled Dave's G34, just a few minutes after watching him use it to win a national championship, so I can say without a doubt that it does not run an extended slide stop.

And your articles have had a positive effect on me somewhat modifying my grip-last weekend's IDPA match with my G17 was one of my better ones, where I used the grip I described.

And as your technique evolves and improves into the realm of even greater performance, it's going to be bye-bye extended slide stop. Don't worry, I'll be sure to say, "I told you so," when that happens. :D