Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

False Advertising & Promises

Dan O

Went to a local gun show, nothing really amazing, just a small annual one. Didn't buy anything big but a vendor was there that I had talked with before and he was selling these gongs. Nothing fancy, 3/4" thick, and he had 4" ones on a single chain for $15, 8" ones on a single chain for $25 and 12" ones on a double chain for $35.

Myself and a friend that was along each wanted one to set up for plinking with the AR15 at distances from 100 yds and out. Told the guy exactly that and asked if the gongs could stand up to that. "Oh yeah! These gongs are made out of a special steel that is made for this kind of thing. A .223 FMJ at 100 yards won't do a thing to it, just mark the paint." I don't know anything about steel targets or what is good and what is not, so we both took him for his word and each bought one.

I bought the 8" one and shot it three times with PMC .223 Remington FMJ ammo yesterday at 85-90 yards. One round almost went all the way through the steel, big bulge on the other side, another did almost the same and another struck while it was swinging and took a big sideways digger out of it.

If the target wasn't made to be shot with a .223 then don't tell me that I can! I would have still bought it for the .22!

Just irritated... I think I'll bring it to the next local show in hopes of running into him and getting my money back.

I went the disposable route for some cheap .223 targets at 50 yards. I got a stack of metal electrical box covers (4"x4") and hung them from plant hangars using safety wire. I also attached safety sire to the side so that when hit it would swing back to facing me. Except for shooting the a couple of the safety wire hangars, they each took 10 or more shots and held up great.