Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ppc Revolver Project

Chuck D

2004 brings a couple of big PPC matches close to home. I'm interested in building a new revolver for these events as my old one is....well...old (and a bit worn out).

It's been a while since I've been active in PPC so my grasp of the "latest and greatest" technology is lacking.

I'd like to ask the forum members whom are still active in PPC about what type of equipment is winning matches these days.

Who makes the best barrels, underlugs and sighting systems?

What are the prevailing trends towards design? Bull or slab side barrels, how "heavy" of an underlug will I want? Who makes the best sight rib?

Thank you in advance for the input...it's greatly appreciated. ;)

if you travel to the nationals you'll see the heavy barrel 38 special revolver is still the king. however, nra has expanded with some matches that require an auto.

not sure which direction you're heading but for the revolver the heavy barrel or fat boy is king around these parts. no underlug just one big fat barrel. there are a few experts around the states that still make these guns. you can look them up on the web i believe tanaka (spelling?) or bobby jones are good. mine is made from a local guy here in michigan and his guns are called mojo.

let me know if you would like pictures.

here is a link to my first ppc gun http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/wichita686.html

i've since replaced it with a fat boy.

the low down

k frame

heavy barrel

aristocrat 3 position rib sight

grips of choice (nil)

ChucK D,

Limited40 is right..k frame, weight and a good trigger. Alan Tanaka (AT Custom) has built two for me and both are first class. I've heard Bob Jones is also good. Nill grips are sweet, too!!

Revolver technology stopped back in the 70's. The Aristocrat triset sight rib (either front or rear adjust - I prefer the TS6T) and a triple lock are all the "technology" available. But they still shoot!! Ron Power used to make a "Grandmaster" sight rib that had 4 positions instead of 3. Don't know if he still makes them.

The 9mm Autos have really come a long way. But the round thing is still king..in PPC.