Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0 accuracy?

shooting for M

I've seen this asked within other threads and haven't seen too many responses.

What's the consensus on 9mm accuracy issues? Are the 2.0s better/different in that aspect? Have they changed the lug design (pics I've seen on the net make it seem like they haven't)?

Your experiences are appreciated.

I've got one on the way, I'll let you all know when I get it and compare it with a recently purchased 1.0. The one I like the best will be getting milled for a DP Pro, the other will be relegated for backup with a FF3 in a dovetail mount as punishment (for a while anyway).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Guns & Ammo ran an article with the typical 5 shot @ 25 yard group testing off sandbags, took the average of 5 groups.  Heavier and slower loads seemed to group pretty well in the 5" model.  Winchester Ranger 147gr averaged 1.92" and Speer Gold Dot 147gr averaged 2.37".  Winchester 115gr white box was the worst at 4.06."  Hornady Critical Duty was the best at 1.76"

Kinda meaningless numbers to an extent, but 2" is pretty good.  It would be cool to see results from a good rest, at least a Ransom or a better vise.

Maybe more encouraging than reports of good accuracy is the lack of stories about wild inaccuracy.  

This is what Randy Lee of apex said in another thread on this forum, and he of all people would know (he probably knows more about the M&P than S&W themselves, haha).  This was in response to someone asking if apex barrels fit the 2.0 but he mentions the changes from the 1.0 to 2.0 design.

Hi Quirk,

The barrels will fit, however they did change some of the slide dimensions so some additional fitting may be required. 

If you look at the interior side walls of the slide where the ejection port is, you will see an appreciable step in the machining closer to the breech face. Our barrels run .600" nominally when you measure the width of the barrel's chamber area. With a tolerance of .003+/- that means our barrel will range between .597 and .603 wide in that area.

The M2.0 tightened up the spec where you see the step, so that .600 is the max width allowable. This means that you might have to sand or polish down the sides of our barrel by 0.002 on each side in order th let the barrel slip past the step.

The factory tightened up this spec to increase torque stabilization of their barrel, which helps improve consistency shot to shot thereby improving accuracy.

While there may be a bit more fitting required for our barrel in the 2.0, the tightening of the factory specs helps ensure that our barrel locks up consistently in the slide across their slide dimensional tolerance spectrum.

If you compare a 2.0 barrel and a 1.0 barrel there are some geometric differences to the barrel.

Edited by narwhal