Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Steel - Make sure your gun is reliable!

akeefer

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my story of last weekend's speed steel match. Ran a .22LR pistol that typically ran fine, but I didn't have my typical ammo with me. That along with it being dirtier than usual, caused for a FTF or FTE about once every string. For me, this was my 4th Speed Steel, where I've been used to doing pretty well in. Well, this day put me back in my place. =)

At least I got the experience of clearing and safely reloading without getting DQ'd. Ugh, but it just doesn't have the same feeling when you do well at a match. =(

Remember, be prepared, keep it clean. =)

Also, if you're using lead as opposed to copper-plated, you need to clean off the wax that they use for lube on the bullets before a match.  CCI Std Vel & Green Tag ammo is wax coated.  It's shipped with the bullets in a horizontal position.  When exposed to heat, the wax melts and forms a "blob" on one side of the bullet.  Wipe this off, and you'll have much less problem with FTF, FTE and jams.  I try to "boresnake" the barrel between stages to help with this problem as well, and that seems to work for me.  YMMV

Alan~^~

Yeah I had similar issues with mags not feeding my clubs falling plate match. I was using my buddies gun so we put maybe 300 rounds thru it before the mags started to get gummed up. He was using CCI ammo while I was using copper washed aguila.

I would have been in the shootout, but I lost by one due to failure to feed. Came in 4/17.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk