Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Type 2 Focus Questions

JT Johnson

What do you mean by "That doesn't mean it is necessarily the best way of doing it, but certainly doable."? Do you mean that it is better to go with a Type 3, going from target to sights? Even for the close targets?

I think what Jake (and BE and Flex) are saying is that there are many different ways of doing it, and you need to figure out which one is "best" for you. Everyone is wired a bit differently, and what you "need to see" to make a certain shot may not be the same as what I "need to see" to make that very same shot.

So how do you figure out what you "need to see"? Unfortunately, that's something you have to figure out for yourself... All of this might sound a bit mystical at first, but if you keep at it (dry fire, more dry fire and then mix in some live fire) I guarantee this will all start to make much more sense. You might want to try BE's Transition Drill - that one really opened my eyes (pun intended).

Good luck and keep at it!

When you are "on" Jake, not using your sights (using a target focus and index) can you turn around and mark a target to match the target that you shot. Could Brian? Is your index so spot on that you can call two alphas using your index and target focus?

How about a cheat sheet for what the 5 types of focus are?

Very interesting. I am not sure what the types of focus are...

The guy that hosts this site has this book...

Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals - In-depth coverage of the technical, physical, and mental aspects of practical pistol training and competition.

http://www.brianenos.com/

:)

The difference is that I am talking about a crisp target focus and using nothing else but your index or natural point of aim. Maybe like firing at a target while looking through a paper towel roll, where you can only see the pinpoint of the Azone where you want to hit and use your index or natural point of aim and trust it.

Nothing else? Why?

You certainly can get input and feedback from your other senses, and one should develop that. But there is always a lot to see...if we let ourselves look.

I shoot without sights on my gun from time to time...as an awareness experiment. But, I can/do still get visual information. I would literally have to have blinders on not to.

Don't think about it so linear 506.

Use what is available to you. Each shot is a separate event. Use whatever information you can. You can get by pretty well with a developed index, but more information is always better.

Exactly. Feedback lets you KNOW what is happening. Which is waaaay better than what we think/wish is happening. Sights provide the absolute best feedback. If I have the gun extended, even on close stuff, then the doesn't cost me anything to get the better feedback that sights provide.

When you are "on" Jake, not using your sights (using a target focus and index) can you turn around and mark a target to match the target that you shot. Could Brian? Is your index so spot on that you can call two alphas using your index and target focus?

I am a regularly a Glock shooter. When I shoot my 1911...which has no sights on it...I can get pretty decent info (feedback from my senses). But, I can give a great example of it not working... Last time I shot the 1911 I was missing a bit. Being open and aware, I was able to pick up on the fact that my interaction with the gun (grip) had the gun pointing slightly to the left. To pick up on that...since I wasn't "on"...I had to expand my awareness.

I would suggest, instead of thinking along the lines of excluding input, think of being more open and getting as much feedback as possible. Make it a goal to notice MORE. Be able to report to somebody what new thing you noticed about your shooting after each run. (which may mean putting the outcome on the back burner in favor of the process)