Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To lighten or not?

CAMO66

OK, I have a question about something that has me puzzled. I see many guns have their slides lightened. I take it thats done for faster lock times. But doesn't this cause more muzzle flip.

Ok now the other end of it. I also see guys running tungsten guide rods to help with muzzle flip.

So do you run both, the lightened slide and tungstun guide rod or just one of them?

Just a new guy trying to understand some of this stuff.

Thanks

Scott

Slides don't have anything to do with locktime. Lightened slides increase cyclic rate (i.e., decrease cycling time). Lighter recoil springs typically do this as well.

Additionally, less moving mass can translate to less felt recoil. More mass on non-moving parts (esp. things like the frame) can also result in less felt recoil.

Remember that the real goal is controlled or managed recoil - a consistent pattern of recoil that lets _you_ get back on your sights and engaging in the shortest possible time. There will be recoil, there will be muzzle flip - the point is to find the consistent balance that allows you to perform the best.

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said,"just didn't know why". But the slide lightning does look cool.

Thanks

Scott

The idea of a lightened slide is to reduce the amount of moving mass which causes gun movement. A tungsten guiderod is static weight to help muzzle flip.