Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USSA Competition Handgun Course

Bongo Boy

I see there are at least a few folks here who've attended US Shooting Academy, but has anyone done their 3-day Competition Handgun course? I've been unable to find any online reviews of USSA at all, and nothing for this particular class. If you have attended it, what do you feel you learned that turned out to be useful, and did you have a mystic vision or anything? :)

The alternative I'm considering is an Intro to IDPA held at Sig (Mike Briggs is the guest instructor, I think), but the logistics are a bit tougher for me and it's just 2 days vs 3 for the USSA offering.

I took the course a month or so ago and learned a lot. Our class had approximately 10 shooters in it so we each got a lot of one on one time with the instructors. The class was taught by Mike Seeklander and Pat Doyle was there as a secondary instructor. Both guys are great shooters and good guys too. The facilities at USSA are top notch! If you haven't been there yet you will be in for a treat. The first day of instruction consisted of setting up your gear correctly for the class that you shoot. We also worked on the draw, sight picture, trigger preparation, trigger sqeeze, grip, stance, watching the sights before during and after the shot breaks, and just about everything else that would be needed to shoot A's everytime. The second day we worked on shooting while moving, target transitions, reloads, picking up a gun and mag off a table, shooting TX stars, shooting swingers, shooting drop turners, mental preparation during a match, proper walk through techniques, visualization, stage breakdown and anything else you can think of that may occur during a match. The big emphasis the entire class was to shoot A's and hit steel on your first shot which I now know is done by watching your sights and calling shots. The 3rd day consisted of an hour or two in the classroom discussing match preparation in regards to how physiological things such as sleep, nutrition and hydration affect your shooting performance. Following the classroom discussion we shot the USSA monthly USPSA match with the instructors. So we had the instructors close by to give us their advice on how to breakdown each stage and then we got to watch them shoot each stage. Then they watched us and critiqued how we did offering up advice on the things we did wrong or could do better. Most times the corrections consisted of Mike and Pat reminding us to use the things we just learned. There was also time set aside for Q&A after the match but most or all if us were tired from 3 days of shooting so we called it quits around 3:00 Saturday.

I am currently a "C" class production shooter and most of the other shooters were C or D class as well. So most of the instruction was geared towards cleaning up and improving upon or beginner bad habits. I feel that I learned all of the techniques I will need to take me to "M" class from this course. Now I just need to practice the techniques. Every shooter in the course was obviously a better shooter on Saturday than on Thursday. I would highly recommend taking the course to anyone. There is no advanced competition pistol course at USSA because they teach you everything you need to "Win the Fight" in the first course. My only regret after the course was that I didn't take it sooner. If I would have taken this in June rather than October I know I would be a "B" or maybe even an "A" class shooter by now. I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to discuss it over the phone. Just send me a PM.

Edited by jtischauser

+1 on the above. I was in the same course and would have given the same review. The greatest thing about the course, to me, was what I was able to take home and continue improving on. I was a better shooter on the 3rd day of the course, better than that today, and believe that the base they (Mike and Pat) gave me will have me improving continuously. I would STRONGLY reccomend this instruction.

Thanks for taking the time to do that...much appreciated. I suppose, strictly speaking, such courses are 20-30% 'training' (steps needed to accomplish some task) and 70-80% 'coaching'. I just don't know how else a shooter can get good coaching without taking a class such as this one, and it sounds like what I'm looking for.

Overall would you say it might be a bit more USPSA-oriented than IDPA-oriented? I fully intend to shoot USPSA, but haven't yet, and of course 'tis the season for cancelled matches here in Colorado so I'm routinely missing opportunities.

Anyway, thanks again for the review and comments.

At USSA they have both USPSA and IDPA matches every month. they had the IDPA nationals there in 2009 and I believe 2010 is there as well. I am not certain but I think the 2008 USPSA nationals were there too. Mike Seeklander is well versed in both shooting sports. The shooters in our class were all USPSA shooters so we focused on the rules associated with that competition. If you need IDPA training they will give you that too. I will say that 80+% of the training is how to shoot and shoot while moving so it works for any action pistol sport.

Edited by jtischauser

That makes sense. At my level, anything would help anyway.

Did you end up shooting about as much ammo as they estimate (1,500-1,700 rds)?

I think we ended up shooting around 1200-1300 rounds including the match on Satruday. I would bring at least the 1500 as recommended though as you could go burn up another 500 rounds on USSA's awesome rogers range which is a range with 8-10 steel plates that rise and fall by hyrdaulics after an adjustable amount of time. I believe it is one of only two such ranges in the country and it is fun, addictive, and will cure your fear of steel quickly. I know it did for me.

Dang I have just about talked myself into taking the course again already. :roflol:

I am going to take the USSA 3 gun course this spring if my work schedule permits.

Edited by jtischauser

+1 more on Jesse and Marc's review of this class. I was in the same class. I was a bit skeptical as the class is not inexpensive (I have taken similar clinics in other sports and been sorely dissappointed), but can say from moment one, I did not regret my investment.

Jessie and I have shot at USSA's facility a few times and knew what to expect there (very impressive), but I was just as impressed with Mike and Pat's lesson plans and instruction. They were both pros in every sense of the word and went out of their way to taylor several aspects of the class to what we wanted to get from it.

Lots of great drills that you can use all the time, with plenty of focus on the things that you/they see that you need to work on. The class was also small enough that you get a lot of personal instruction. I think it gives you the tools to go as far as you want in this sport and would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

Edited by Chris_Andersen

This is all very good to hear. For those of us who may not be very creative, a course that provides 'homework' and an outline of drills to work on is a good thing. Given we spend by far most of of our time NOT in a class and without a coach, it's important (to me at least) to get as much of a personal training/practice plan out of a course as possible.