Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting the Most from the Indoor Range

Bongo Boy

I'm blessed with access to what I think is an exceptional indoor range. It's a members=only range, has excellent ventilation and lighting, allows drawing from the holster and has no speed-of-fire restrictions. Range is 25 yds, with the ability to set the target anywhere from 0 to 25 yds in .5 yard increments. So, a bowling-lane environment with no ability of the shooter to move, no moving targets and no shooting across lanes for transition practice.

Given this heaven-on-earth, I wanted to get ideas from you about how to get the most from live-fire at such a range for a relatively new IDPA and USPSA shooter. I understand this depends on what each individual needs to work on most, but let's assume a relatively new shooter with needs across the spectrum, and assume ample dry-fire homework is being done.

I spend a fair amount of my time, currently, just practicing recovery to target on a second shot. This is one thing I thought would be hard to simulate in dry fire practice and that kind of requires real recoil (as opposed to fake recoil). I also spend some time getting the first shot on target--initial acquisition and one shot fired--both from the holster and from a close ready position.

Lately I've been thinking I could use those goofy targets that have the 4 colored geometric shapes on them (Fisher-Price targets I call 'em) to practice transitions--even though the transition is tiny compared to any stage. Where I think I need some work is in getting the trigger to magically break the instant the sights are right...not .1 second later. Getting better at that for sure, but still some 'thinking' going on during recovery.

I've not done any particular drills (that I'm aware of), so if there any specific drills that are well-suited to the range restrictions I've described, I'd like to hear about them. Thanks.

Can you use more than one lane (cross fire) if the range isn't crowded? Better for your transition work. To avoid whacking the side walls you could have the targets on adjacent or nearly adjacent lanes staggered near and far (better that the far target be the one not direcly downrange of your shooting point). If you can't shoot across, with considerable trigger finger discipline, you could pick an off axis target to acquire a sight picture on w/o firing, then transition back to your own target for the actual shot.

See if you can reload from the belt. If you put your open range bag in front of you, your mags won't be bouncing off the concrete or forward of the shooting line.

Many of the classifiers test skills you can train on w/o moving from your shooting point. Draw to the weak hand. Surrender position. Reloads. Gun pick ups. Mags on table starts. At many ranges you can take down your stall's shelf, out of the way, so you could even practice draw to the kneeling position.

Just check w/ the rangemaster first... (most would probably frown on turning starts with loaded gun in holster, for instance) :rolleyes:

Good ideas kevin...yep, lots of that is doable, I think. I'm now thinking of dropping something like a blanket on the concrete to drop mags on, and I know I can use the removeable table, standing on end, to stage mags. Some good ideas there.

Yeah, the turn and draw thing is just going to freak out the Citizens...I don't think I'd even ask.

I've been thinking about asking for one or two adjacent lanes for some time now...and just as you suggest, I'd offer up the safety notion of the adjacent-lane targets being further downrange than the main lane target. I think they might be okay with that when the range is slack and there are a few unused lanes between me and the next guy. That would be wonderful transition practice.

Edited by Bongo Boy

Most of my practice has been done at an indoor bowling alley that does NOT permit draws or fast shooting. I hope you get some good replies to your post. I'd like to see what folks recommend.

There are a few things you can do. It is common in IDPA to shoot around barriers. Usually you will have 90% of your weight on one foot as you lean toward the side. You can practice this in a bowling alley. Lean toward one side and pretend to shoot from behind cover.

Movement is limited, typically one step to the side or forward or backward. Try it. Start somewhat back of the normal shooting position. Take a step forward. While you are stepping forward, try shooting at the start of the step, the middle of the step, and the end of the step. They all feel a little different. This practice might even be MORE beneficial than actually walking and shooting.

Repeat taking one step back. Then again from side to side.

Another thing I do is use 2 medium size targets and hang them side by side. This way, I can practice transitions. It's the next best thing to shooting across lanes which is a no-no.

Good luck.