Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing day and night shooting - does it make sense?

Magnus DUX

Our local club has weekly matches around 7PM (most of the year it is dark) with high-power lights coming from one side of the range. But all the classifiers and State matches are shot in the morning or day with a natural day light. And I see my scores being better during the night matches. Most likely because I shoot more at night than day.

What do you think about situation like that? Should I stop going to those weekly matches and practice more on my own during the day? Does it makes any sense at all?

Do you mix your practice between day and night?

Edited by Magnus DUX

I'm not sure that skipping the weekly matches is going to help - shooting is shooting and everything helps in some ways. Also, you are assuming it is the light that makes the difference. Perhaps it just the difference between shooting your weekly fun matches and shooting "for real". Maybe you're doing things differently when it "counts".

It's very common for a lot of people, myself included, to do worse on the classifiers than on the rest of a local match. Just something to think about.

Day or night ultimately doesn't matter if you are doing the right thing, calling your shot. Could it be that nights are simpler stages or less competition? That's the way I have seen it with weekly leagues. Or maybe you are forced to "aim better" with the decreased light conditions?