Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun fires even if it's in safe mode

znapie

I just installed EGW sear and Hammer and all Hennings pins etc. and with a 15lb hammer spring.

But when i cock the hammer and put the safe in "safe mode" i still can squeeze the trigger so that the gun will fire. I have to squeeze REALLY hard to make it fire thought!

What might be wrong? To much filed on the sear maybe?

I have a Limited Custom

Hey.

On the sear there is a lever that interacts with the thumb safety. If you didn't take any material off on this lever you shouldn't even be able to put the gun on safe. That at is the normal status of things. If your thumb safety / trigger group etc for some reason is worn / fits differently and you can put the thumb safety on safe without having to file on that lever then something is wrong with either safety or possibly sear housing. If that's the case, then you'd need to build up the safety on the bottom on that lever that touches the thumb safety. I've done this before, but we're talking in the 90's where parts weren't as oversized probably.

If you filed and took too much off, yes the gun will fire because the sear is now allowed to move even though the safety is on. Fitting that lever to your thumb safety is how you stop the sear from moving when safety is on.

Most likely you can fix it, just have to put a weld on the sear lever and re-fit it. A competent gunsmith should be able to help you out. Call me if you have any questions.

Hey.

On the sear there is a lever that interacts with the thumb safety. If you didn't take any material off on this lever you shouldn't even be able to put the gun on safe. That at is the normal status of things. If your thumb safety / trigger group etc for some reason is worn / fits differently and you can put the thumb safety on safe without having to file on that lever then something is wrong with either safety or possibly sear housing. If that's the case, then you'd need to build up the safety on the bottom on that lever that touches the thumb safety. I've done this before, but we're talking in the 90's where parts weren't as oversized probably.

If you filed and took too much off, yes the gun will fire because the sear is now allowed to move even though the safety is on. Fitting that lever to your thumb safety is how you stop the sear from moving when safety is on.

Most likely you can fix it, just have to put a weld on the sear lever and re-fit it. A competent gunsmith should be able to help you out. Call me if you have any questions.

Great, that is what i thought. I have filed to much on the sear, there is a SMALL glitch between the sear/thumb safety. I will either put a weld on the sear and refile - or buy a new one :)