Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What else can I work on?

astephenson

After watching the video several times I realize that I'm leaning forward during my draw. The draw is also pretty darn slow. I've been working on keeping my upper torso still during the draw but obviously I have some more work to do. What else do you guys see?

BTW, I'm pretty new to USPSA...I've mostly shot IDPA up till this point and this DOH Holster is kinda new to me. I'm two matches away from a classification (probably C).

One, you're just not moving your hands/arms very fast. I can't explain it, but moving your support hand quickly is just as important as moving your gun hand...maybe more important. Really slap it fast at your body.

Two, you're moving the gun towards the target as soon as it clears the holster. Try coming farther up with it, then punch it towards the target as it's coming up that last little bit....you'll pick up the sights as they start to come into alignment and get on target. That will have you ready to shoot the instant the gun is fully extended. Pretend you're trying to draw over a string set somewhere around chest high (give or take). R,

One, you're just not moving your hands/arms very fast. I can't explain it, but moving your support hand quickly is just as important as moving your gun hand...maybe more important. Really slap it fast at your body.

Two, you're moving the gun towards the target as soon as it clears the holster. Try coming farther up with it, then punch it towards the target as it's coming up that last little bit....you'll pick up the sights as they start to come into alignment and get on target. That will have you ready to shoot the instant the gun is fully extended. Pretend you're trying to draw over a string set somewhere around chest high (give or take). R,

Amazing all the ligh bulb moments I get while reading this board. Great advice. :bow:

• 1 month later...

slow is smooth, smooth is fast. If your just getting into uspsa, your skills will develope fast. I started in idpa and then started shooting uspsa just like you. I have long arms and thought i was moving to slow. so i worked at it. def cant speed it up over night but just stick with a dry fire routine and the speed will come.

I would recommend Matt Burkett's DVDs to get started. You'll save more $$$ in the long run because you wont have to shoot as much to get where you want. Techniques and drills are covered with explanation to get you started. The earlier you get good advice, the less you have to fix later.

http://www.mattburkett.com/shop-online?pag...p;category_id=1