Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stained\tarnished brass

RowdyOne

A friend was trying to be helpful and collected some of the brass from the recent qualification day. Only problem was it was raining. I have 2 ammo cans of brass that was stored wet and damp for a few weeks. Now for the question(s)...

Can this be safely reloaded? A photo should be attached. The brass was tumbled in corn cob for about 4 hours and this is the final result.

Did the water weaken the brass?

Anything else I should be worried about? I have not set up my 40 yet, but I will be loading minor for IDPA/Production.

Thanks! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

post-5124-1253070788_thumb.jpg

I've been doing kind of an informal experiment with stained brass. The soils around many of the places I practice and compete (in Colorado) are alkaline and if brass is lost and buried, it comes up looking a lot like wolf cases. I have reloaded a bunch of this stained brass and found no problems with workability or strength in 9mm and .45 ACP. All my loads are up to power factor with a comfortable margin for chrono variations. I tend to use heavier bullets as I find them more effective for knocking steel around. Based on this experience, I'd say no worries!