Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used SX2 practical

dek001

I have a chance to buy a used SX2 practical for $525. No box, one light piston and missing rear sight. Are parts available? Is it worth it? Owner says it runs 100%. Thanks, Dennis

If it runs and isn't beat to hell it sounds like a deal to me. Not sure if you can still get parts from winchester but you should be able to from FN.

shane

I bought the SX2. It was as described and looks in excellent condition. It only has the light piston installed but the owner says it shoots anything 100% and he never felt the need to get the heavier piston. He bought the gun from someone else. I went to the range and fired two mags (18 rounds) of mixed loads from Fed target 3 dram 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 (MV 1200 fps), Rem Hi Vel 7/8 oz #8 (MV 1390 fps) to Fed Tactical 1 oz rifled slug (MV 1610 fps) without any problems. Should I invest in the heavier piston to prevent wear and damage or is it more dependent on the frequency of use? Also, the rear ghost ring sight is missing. In checking the Win parts PDF, it doesn't describe the different rear sights nor are they shown in the schematic. Does anyone happen what the part number is and what it looks like? They have a rear sight listed for over $200. I don't think that's the ghost ring. Thanks, Dennis

Unless you plan on prolonged use of loads over 3 1/4dram.....then the heavy piston is not at all necessary. I run the light in mine for everything.

As for the sight.....can't halp you there but it may be easier to get the FNH sight for the SLP which is the exact equivalent.

Sounds like you got a great deal.

• 3 months later...

I know this is kind of a late response but I just saw your thread. I snagged and broke my rear sight on my SX2 so I called Winchester and talked to the parts department. They had a new rear sight out to me that day and it was on the gun 4 days later! Mine does not have the ghost ring sight just the flip up rear and it was around $35-40 shipped.

Just give them a call and they will help you out.

Doug