Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rainbowbob's range reports

rainbowbob

I shot my first IDPA match last Saturday (July 18th, 2009) - and I'm hooked!

I immediately joined the Renton Fish & Game Club where the matches are held, as well as IDPA.

I'm a revolver shooter (at least so far), and enjoyed being one of the few. I'd love to see others with revolvers - but they seem to be regarded as dinasaurs in match shooting.

Not to worry...the only shooter I'm competing against at this level is myself. And boy-oh-boy do I have a lot to learn!

The first stage was simple and I didn't have a problem.

The second stage was more complicated, including shooting from inside a car, exiting car and engaging targets from three additional positions using the car as cover.

Man! I screwed that one up good! Engaged the wrong targets from the wrong position, etc.

At other stages I learned about keeping my outside leg from showing around cover.

The last stage was also complicated and I over-thought it by deciding I would empty my revolver at one popper/swinger combo, reload, and have plennty of ammo for the remaining popper/swinger combo.

EXCEPT...

I forgot to bring sufficient ammo to the line! :blush:

AND...

Given a newbie do-over, I discovered that I was able to hit both popper/swinger combos in six shots - thereby making the shoot-to-unload and extra re-load completely unneccessary! (I also beleive the shoot-to-unload is against the rules, although it was the RO who suggested it.)

I was all over what became almost a contact sport trying to beat the next guy to the holes for taping.

I thought the people picking up "empties" were re-loaders, and I didn't want to interfere with their 'treasure hunt." I'm still not sure what the protocols are for policing the range.

I'll learn from my mistakes. I'll get better at mapping out the stages in my head (and checking my ammo!) before I get to the line. I'll improve my reloading speed. I WILL classify as MM.

This is gonna be FUN!

Edited by rainbowbob