Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers and Can I use these?

bclemans

I have a question about using certain primers. I am new to reloading so I am still trying to learn. I have some CCI large pistol magnum primers and would like to use them in loading for .45 ACP. I want to load light to standard loads. I will be using Titegroup powder and once fired brass and using either a 200 or 230 grain FMJ bullet. Can I use these primers to load this and what is a good powder charge to load this assuming I can use these primers? By the way these would be shot from a Glock 21 and a 30.

I also have loaded for 9mm and I have some CCI bench rest small rifle primers I would like to use to load 9mm. Again I will be using Titegroup powder and a 115 grain Montana gold FMJ bullet. I want to load this to a light load. In the past using standard small pistol primers I loaded 4.1 gr. of Titegroup under a 115 FMJ bullet and it worked well from my Glock 17 and 26.

With the primer situation the way it is I would like to use up these primers as I find it hard to get the standard primers but I don't want to do something that might blow up a gun so any advice would be great.

Thanks

Start with a minimum load and work your way up. Chrony a few rounds and you will probably find that substituting a magnum primer for a std primer makes an equivalent load with 0.2-0.5 grains LESS powder.

I know for 9mm a mag fed primer makes an equivalent load for 124 gr rn cmj, using TG at 0.30 gr less powder.