Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? Differences RL-1050 vs Super 1050 ?

I bought an RL-1050 in the 1990s, and then was away from the shooting world for seven years. I missed the introduction of the Super 1050, and don't know what the changes were.

What is better/different about the Super 1050?

Is my RL-1050 upgradable, and would that be generally considered worthwhile?

I browsed around the Dillon site and didn't see a comparison (it may be there, but I didn't find it).

Edited by jmaass

From what I understand the super has a longer stroke to accomodate all the larger rifle calibers. The RL was geared mainly towards pistol calibers and .223.

I don't think you can upgrade to he super and most people who shoot pistol only would rather have the RL.

if you want to sell look me up.

jmaass:

I think Scribble is right in that you can't upgrade. I read a post from Mike Dillon on that issue. It seems that some parts on the Super 1050 are machined differently. Also, it looks like the case feeder has been improved over the 1994 version I have. The powder measure has also been changed.

The RL1050 remains in demand as some prefer its shorter stroke, although I haven't had an opportunity to look at a Super 1050 in person and see if there is a difference in feel.

The RL1050 is (IMHO) superior for pistol calibers and remains my favorite. My Super 1050 was purchased solely to do rifle loading in calibers to long for the RL to handle.

Bye the Bye - Really nice to see you posting here and a thousand thanks for your reloading pages. They, and you, Rock! :cheers:

The RL1050 is (IMHO) superior for pistol calibers and remains my favorite. My Super 1050 was purchased solely to do rifle loading in calibers to long for the RL to handle.

Bye the Bye - Really nice to see you posting here and a thousand thanks for your reloading pages. They, and you, Rock! :cheers:

It looks like I'm glad to have my RL-1050! It's always been set up for my 9x21 Open caliber. I do no rifle reloading and never expect to have that need.

I am now shooting a second caliber (.40 S&W) for my carry gun, and wish I hadn't sold my second press (XL-650) a few years ago. I may fill the '650 space on the bench with a new '650 someday soon for .40 and .45.

Thanks for the nice comments on the IPSC Loads Lists! I'm having passing thoughts to start gathering loads again to fill in some of the new powders and to account for the new (since my last update) power factors. I need to go through to my old backup CD-ROMs to find the most recent (5-year-old) source files, though!